Go Down

Topic: OT: just ordered a hard-drive for my 1U server (Read 4994 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

finally ordered a hard-drive for my 1U Dell server. :D
I am starting with just a single TB, and will see where to go from there. it is likely i will not open the server to the public yet, as i need to do quite a bit of shakedown testing to make sure it is secure from tampering.

but, my server is almost alive :D

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

travis_farmer

drive still hasn't shipped yet  >:(  (not from eBay)! this is quite frustrating...

~Travis

TKall

Travis:
I was talking with my production manager yesterday about setting up our own server but I know nothing about it.  Is is complicated?  There are volumes of info out there, any you would recommend?
Tom

travis_farmer

Travis:
I was talking with my production manager yesterday about setting up our own server but I know nothing about it.  Is is complicated?  There are volumes of info out there, any you would recommend?
Tom
well, yes and no. the complicated factor depends on what you want to serve, and to whom. a server is like a open market where you want enough security to prevent thieves, or malicious hackers, but not so much that you are unable to serve what and whom you want.

i have run servers in the past, but not for years due to money issues. so i am experienced, but my experience is out of date. i am not sure where the best source of information would be as i am entirely self taught in this field. there are others here that run servers, so hopefully they will be of better help than i am.

a server in it's most basic form is simply a computer. the main difference is that it offers data, rather than requesting data.

sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

I would expect the most difficult thing about setting up a server is ensuring available bandwidth. At my home, i had a webcam server set-up to show a incoming storm and once 4-5 people were streaming my connection shit the bed. For an HTML/PHP site bandwidth is gonna be a lot less that streaming video, especially if you use external hosting for images... but still is a concern.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

TKall

I have a standard 70 meg service and have options much higher.  I don't think I'll need much more for what I  want to do.

Qdeathstar

Feb 23, 2017, 02:22 am Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 02:23 am by Qdeathstar
You have 70meg up and 70 meg down?

I've got 150meg down, but only 10meg up :(;  The fastest speed speed is 300meg down and 30meg up.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

msssltd

Feb 23, 2017, 08:48 am Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 08:48 am by MattS-UK
First of all.  Happy to hear you are making progress Travis :D

I have a standard 70 meg service and have options much higher.  I don't think I'll need much more for what I  want to do.
You need to start with, "What I want to do."  Setting up a server is easy.  Setting up a server that works reliably for more than one user for more than one day, is another thing entirely.  In many ways my job was actually a lot easier in 1989, before setup wizards, out of the box default settings and pre configured routers.

Start with capacity planning; how many concurrent users and what applications.  That will give you an idea of where the bottle necks will be.  Through to around Y2K the network was invariably the limiting factor but not so much these days.  Also decide early on what operating system you are going to use.  Windows is easier to administer.  Linux is more performant, more robust but sucks up time getting it right during commissioning -   Getting it wrong is much easier ;)

travis_farmer

Yup, linux also needs the hardened profile. So Everything must (yes it's a must) be compiled (or recompiled) with the hardened profile. And it's not enough, it's the first step.

can't say as i ever had to do that before, but it has been years since i used Linux for a server.

I downloaded Linux Fedora 25 Server a little while back, and i look forward to my drive arriving so i can set it up. :D

~Travis

msssltd

So Everything must (yes it's a must) be compiled (or recompiled) with the hardened profile. And it's not enough, it's the first step.
Maybe if you are closer to development than support. 

The majority of Linux servers residing in data centres are running bog standard Red Hat or Debian or Suse.  Outside of embedded, turnkey and bedroom developers,  implementation decisions are ruled by commercial factors in my experience; TCO, RoI, ease of duplication and the cost of the skills to provide ongoing support.  The bulk of the second line is focused on Windows desktop products - Those are the people I hand over to more often than not.

travis_farmer

i canceled my hard drive order from Amazon. it still had not shipped, and was not scheduled to ship until the 27th (ordered on the 21st). i can buy elsewhere for less hassle.  >:(

~Travis

travis_farmer

Dude, as seller (I am) I can assure you we can all have some issue with carriers, or with warehouses. That said, a delay of a few weeks (up to 3 weeks) should be acceptable!

As buyer, I had to wait for three weeks for my book shipped, because the library in NewYork was out of it and was waiting for a new incoming of books, and other things went wrong, but then I got my book.

A very rare book, which talks about the origin of supercomputers by CRAY.
well, after checking local stores, they don't stock hard-drives (go figure). but i can order one...

so, long story short, i re-ordered the hard drive, but upgraded to 2TB. i will claim that is why i canceled the order, to upgrade ;)
this time i will try my best to wait patiently for it's arrival. that will teach me to have better patience in the future. :D

~Travis

travis_farmer

Dude, I don't download linux, I build linux. And have you ever wondered *how* the strong-server version of linux is built ?

if i don't download it, are you saying i should write Linux code from scratch? i don't really have that much time on my hands. besides, it is just a hobby server. i am still not entirely sure if i want to open it up fully to the public, or or not. i may just let only a select few people to be able to access it.

to begin with, when it is ready for outside access, i will likely select some beta testers to help me secure it.

it's not like i will be running a corporate hosting service. just a personal website, with a hobby forum (if for no other reason than just because i can). other features may arrive in the future, but network port 80 is likely to be the extent of it.

~Travis

travis_farmer

you don't have skills, you mean.
i work full time, so i am exhausted after work. weekends i have things to do around the house, so free time is short and chaotic.

in my youth, i have re-compiled the Linux kernel several times to suit my needs.

so i mean, i don't really have that much time on my hands.

heck, even my personal webpage was designed on a WYSIWYG editor, rather than me writing the code, though i will include PHP into it at some point.

~Travis

travis_farmer

And, judging from your answers, you have absolutely no idea about what security is.

last time i ran a Linux server, i had no problems at all. this is a hobby server, not a server for a Swiss bank system. it is also why when i get the server to the beta testing stage, i will only allow a select few people to help me make sure it is secure.

~Travis

Go Up