Go Down

Topic: OT: just ordered a hard-drive for my 1U server (Read 4357 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

There you have it.  A rudimentary LAMP server.
You will need to secure it though.
ok, thanks :D i have just started uploading my simple webpage via SCP. it is very pokey for some reason (about 40kB/s). perhaps i need to upgrade my ethernet cables. all i had kicking arround was some UTP (plain CAT5). i will probably upgrade to CAT6 for the server to router cable for gigabit, and CAT5e for the router to everything else.

~Travis
Current Obsession: Ham Radio, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own forum on my hobby server.

msssltd

Now it is working, you might want to back up the whole of the /etc directory.

Remember that SCP uses SSH and that means a significant overhead for the encryption at both ends, with a significant drop in throughput compared to un-encrypted protocols.  A better test of throughput is to place a large file in the /var/www/html folder and download it with a web browser.

Unless there is a physical fault on the CAT5 cable, CAT6 is unlikely to make much difference within a residential premises.

travis_farmer

Now it is working, you might want to back up the whole of the /etc directory.

Remember that SCP uses SSH and that means a significant overhead for the encryption at both ends, with a significant drop in throughput compared to un-encrypted protocols.  A better test of throughput is to place a large file in the /var/www/html folder and download it with a web browser.

Unless there is a physical fault on the CAT5 cable, CAT6 is unlikely to make much difference within a residential premises.

Trying wget, and it is downloading at 17.3KB/s. should be independent of SSH. when it is done i will try to download it to my computer to check throughput.

as far as the CAT5 vs. physical fault, they passed with my cable checker (checks for crossed pairs as well).

~Travis

travis_farmer

just bought and installed a new 2TB hard drive (the one i ordered i canceled as it was that or wait for back-order). it is formatting now, as i type. :D

i had envisioned having several partitions, and mount points, but i ended up just doing one partition and mount point, and i will tie stuff in with file links. it seemed easier at the time.

~Travis

larryd

You are spending money again Travis, slap on the back of your hand.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

travis_farmer

You are spending money again Travis, slap on the back of your hand.

yeah, well, it is the last bit for a while. i just wanted to get it into the server before the website grew too big.

~Travis

travis_farmer

ok, just because i think i did things "the old way", here is how i mounted the new hard drive.

first, in fdisk, i partitioned it with one partition. then i formated it "mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1", and created the mount point, then i mounted it: "mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /var/storage"

i realize it has been a while here, so i want to make sure i did it correctly before i add data to it.

~Travis

pYro_65

just bought and installed a new 2TB hard drive (the one i ordered i canceled as it was that or wait for back-order). it is formatting now, as i type. :D

i had envisioned having several partitions, and mount points, but i ended up just doing one partition and mount point, and i will tie stuff in with file links. it seemed easier at the time.

~Travis
Just don't do what one of our customers did some time ago, and save backups to a different partition on the same disk they were backing up.

Was gold to see their face when they realized their data was gone after having the drive fail. Not sure if they forked out for forensic recovery, but its cheaper to buy a second disk.
Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

travis_farmer

Just don't do what one of our customers did some time ago, and save backups to a different partition on the same disk they were backing up.

Was gold to see their face when they realized their data was gone after having the drive fail. Not sure if they forked out for forensic recovery, but its cheaper to buy a second disk.
ROFLMAO, did you get a picture of their face? :D

unfortunately, my server only has room for 2 drives. so with my OS drive, and the data storage drive, it is maxed out. i will have to do on-site, off-server backups.

one of these days i will make up a big RAID backup server for my server and laptop, but that is for the future (or when i win the lottery ;) )

~Travis

travis_farmer

bit of an issue here. my DSL modem is not translating my web server port to the internet connection. I have forwarded the port on my router. but still no go. any ideas?

~Travis

msssltd

Reminds me of my first emergency call out.  Netware server abended during the overnight backup run and failed to remount the bindery.  I turned up with a new disk and asked for the previous day's tape.  "We only have one tape."  20 hours of VRepair, abend loop later, I managed to get the old disk back online.  In operation the system generated around 500 to 1000 Euros per hour (DMark in those days) and they had scrimped over a pack of DAT tapes.  I sent the invoice out in a jiffy bag, with a couple of 'free' tapes.

Go Up