Using a 2.4ghz module to transmit data

I have a 2.4ghz module (FS-HF030) and the receiver to go with it from an old hobby radio system, and I want to see if it's possible to build a data logging system for a remote control boat.
So do these modules need a specific signal going into them (PWM) in order to send out? There a 4 wires coming out of the PCB, the positive and negative supplies, one labelled SW, and one labelled PPM. I'm fine with having lots of decoding on the receiver side but since I have space and weight to worry about, I'd like to keep the on board unit as small as possible. I'm thinking about building a voltage detector and I already have a thermistor.
So is this possible? Has anyone done it?
I apologize if I'm in the wrong section I didn't know where I should post.

52 posts, and not a link in sight. Sigh...

Alright, the module is out of here:

I don't have a link to the actual module, because it's part of an entire system, I was just wondering if it was possible (specific module aside) to send signals without complicated encoding.
Is there something wrong with not posting frequently?

One very cool way to interface a digital controller like an arduino to a typical R/C transmitter is if the transmitter has a 'trainer' mode feature, which your listing implies it does.

What this allows is for a serial PPM data stream to be the source that gets transmitted over the air, overriding the transmitters manual stick controls and channel switches. An arduino can easily create such a serial PPM stream in software and output it via a digital output pin that could then be wired to the the 'trainer' port connector, usually on the back of the transmitter.

A second useful use of the trainer port connector is if you wished that instead of sending the stick commands and channel switch information over the air as a RF signal, there is a serial PPM datastream output pin that an arduino could read on a input pin and decode all the channel command positions, it's the reverse of the first described use of the trainer port.

Normally the trainer port is used to connect two transmitters together (usually required to be the same brand and model unless otherwise verified to be compatible), one for the 'student pilot' and one for the 'trainer pilot' and normally the students stick controls are active and his transmitter is sending RF out it's antenna, however if the trainer pilot sees trouble ahead he can flip a switch on his transmitter and the cable sends his physical control movements via a serial PPM data stream to the students transmitter that then sends that PPM stream out the RF antenna on the students transmitters, which is effectively removing all students stick and channel switch commands from doing anything. The hard part is getting the proper documentation the explains the pin connections on the trainer connector and what voltage levels the port uses and finding proper mating connectors.

I attempted to find some useful information on the 'trainer' function and how it might be useful for what your are trying to do. I won't guarantee that it's correct for this specific transmitter, but it came from drilling down in the product page:

Lefty

Lefty, the transmitter is going to go on the boat, to transmit data (temperatures, battery voltage etc) to a land based receiver. An arduino (hooked up to the receiver) will control an LCD or 7 seg displays to show the read data in the boat. The rest of the transmitter is missing, all that I have left is the module, does that mean I'll be generating a PPM signal to send to it?

packocrayons:
Lefty, the transmitter is going to go on the boat, to transmit data (temperatures, battery voltage etc) to a land based receiver. An arduino (hooked up to the receiver) will control an LCD or 7 seg displays to show the read data in the boat. The rest of the transmitter is missing, all that I have left is the module, does that mean I'll be generating a PPM signal to send to it?

Correct. The following doc seems to say there is a serial PPM signal input for the RF module (yellow wire). Doesn't state the voltage level (3.3/5.0/or ?) for the PPM data bit stream, but it's something you can play with as it's a bit of a hack as I'm sure you are aware of. :wink:

Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking

Thanks retro. I found a tutorial on PPM so I'll learn how to do that and get this up and running.