Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 33662 times) previous topic - next topic

Qdeathstar

yeah, i don't store that information in my head.... i know 0c freezing, 30c hot,  and 100c boiling. Other than that DONT CARE.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

would you rather i stated the temperature in Kelvin? makes it look more exciting. ;)
-40F/C is about 233.15K :D

~Travis

travis_farmer

so, got my DSLR camera lens today (still waiting on the scope...), so i can at least get used to using the camera.

I also got the SparkFun board for my weather sensors, so i expect i should make a little progress on that project.

I haven't forgotten my server rack cooler project, it is just on the side burner, simmering. my soldering skills seem to be falling off for some reason. hands are a little shaky i guess.

but anyway, tis the season for gift giving, so i will hold back personal spending, other than bills for a while. so my projects will be on a financial hold (still a go, until they need more money ;) ).

~Travis

travis_farmer

interesting... just found out my telescope (not arrived yet) is only a 400mm focal length. I remember seeing a telephoto lens with far more, i think.  :o
Now i just have to learn all i can find about using my camera. previously, i have used just point-and-shoot style cameras.

I have always enjoyed taking landscape and wildlife pictures, so maybe this additional hobby will get me outside more. i could certainly use the exercise, seeing as how i unfortunately passed the 300 pound mark. (mostly due to Abilify.. and lack of energy to do much) i mean, i am 6' 3", so the pounds don't show quite as much. but i definitely feel it when climbing a ladder with a 90 pound bundle of roof shingles.

but anyway, i have to get ready for work (only a half day today anyway), but much to the disappointment of some, i will return this afternoon. ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

my Telescope has arrived! it seems to work quite well, though darkness will tell more. One thing i noticed, the camera would mount on the back, but when the scope is near vertical, the camera would crash into the mount fork. so... bit of a snag there. i have some software i downloaded (PHD Guiding 2), and a bit of arduino code (OnStep). so with a bit of ingenuity, i should be able to make an equatorial mount, using some steppers, and such. the hard part will be the slow drive. the more gears, or belt/pulley reduction, the less precision. but i am thinking if i use timing belts, a stepper pinion, and a really big driven pulley, that i should have at least something i can learn from. the big pulley can be just a circle of wood, with the belt fastened to it, as there is no need for a complete revolution. when the scope is down to the horizon, it need not move more...
I will either need some very smooth bearings, or a smooth bushing for the pivots.
I have NEMA17 steppers that should work (very low reduction, and the load will be counter-weight balanced), and some extra stepper drivers. i may even have an arduino kicking around somewhere. ;)

so, seeing as how i never took physics, it should be an uphill struggle to get the reduction calculated to enter the settings into configuration. :D i will have to study the code some to get it figured out.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Maybe your next project should be a squat counter.

travis_farmer

maybe, but with my line of work, i can actually lose weight pretty easy. i just have to go off the Abilify. though, then i would be having moments of severe, and unfocused rage, with a hair trigger. i am not a good person when i am off my meds.  :o

~Travis

travis_farmer

right, so i get my scope all ready, and head outside with it... cloudy sky!
so, not tonight i guess...

~Travis

allanhurst

The earth rotates once in 24 hours, so you need that rev rate...   1/1440 or  about 0.000694 rpm.

Allan

Qdeathstar

I don't think a stepper would work, since it has discrete steps, you would notice the steps....

TomGeorge

Hi Travis,

For your tracker drive system , you may get some ideas from the DIY  Barndoor Trackers that track cameras.

google   barndoor tracker

Tom... :)
PS Like all of us mate we, "keep taking the tablets"   lol
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

travis_farmer

Dec 03, 2017, 12:43 am Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017, 12:43 am by travis_farmer
Hi Travis,

For your tracker drive system , you may get some ideas from the DIY  Barndoor Trackers that track cameras.

google   barndoor tracker

Tom... :)
PS Like all of us mate we, "keep taking the tablets"   lol
I have researched barndoor trackers, but from what i have read, they aren't very good for long duration, like a equatorial tracker.
But the simplicity has crossed my mind, more than once.

I don't think a stepper would work, since it has discrete steps, you would notice the steps....
a lot of them use steppers. is is all in the reduction system. with enough reduction, the camera will not see the step movements, as much. but it has to be a smooth system too. a lot of gear slop, for instance, would be very visible.

I can build (read as "over build" ;) ) the mount from a combination of wood, and metal pieces, as long as the pivots are strong enough that they won't shake much. and i have a CNC router now to cut the parts out. :D

~Travis

travis_farmer

Thats it, no more buying my hopes and dreams! it never turns out the way i want, and all i do is accumulate unused hobbies, with no money anymore! i don't even want to know how much money i have tied up in unused hobbies. so, to paraphrase a US president, "Read my lips: No new hobbies"!

Code: [Select]
Photography - early phase, but eager.
Astronomy - early phase, but eager.
Electronics - still continuing.
Computer Programming - Arduino mostly, still continuing.
HO Model Trains - Back burner, collecting dust.
CNC wood routing - Back Burner, but very eager to return.
Drums - Back burner, collecting dust.
Ham Radio - Back Burner, collecting dust.
Woodworking - Still continuing (my job).
My Server - Still continuing, may drop the unused forum.
Weather Watching - Back Burner, for now.
Motorcycle Riding - Back Burner, may sell in spring.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

did they end up giving you that liscence?

travis_farmer

did they end up giving you that liscence?
still pending, but i am sure it is sitting in the "circular file".

~Travis

Go Up