Stupid question? How do you keep your bits tidy?

I've done the pill bottle (and 35mm film can) methods, and didn't like them. Among other things, you inevitably find that the container is labelled in an area you can't see when you're looking for it, and the parts inside are hard/possible to identify without opening it. These days, I use containers like those for temporary storage when I'm dismantling/repairing equipment or kitting parts for assembly.

I use a mix of those flat fishing-tackle boxes, and some undivided plastic boxes. Some of the boxes are the imitation Tupperware sandwich size, and many are the shoebox-sized. When I need to organize parts within them, I use ziploc bags. E.g., I keep 1/4W and 1/8W resistor in the sandwich boxes, one per power-of-ten, with a bag for each value.

I also have some of those cardboard boxes about the size of a ream of typing paper. For chips, I line them with antistatic foam to hold the loose ones, and often have antistatic bags tossed in the box when I have many of a particular type.

If you have a large dedicated workspace, with a fairly static inventory of parts, the rows of tiny drawers can work well. But I've mostly avoided them, because I've been through times of limited space, and times where I was working on more than one project, in different areas, simultaneously.