kingbright double 7-segment with dp missing (?)

hello, I just got a couple of kingbright dc03-11ewa
datasheet: http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/dc03-11ewa.pdf

but from what I see in the datasheet it's not possible to turn on the decimal point (dp) leds ?! :blush:
well, ok, it does say 7-segment, if we count the dp that will be 8 segments, but the dp led are physically there, and I thought that the term "7-segment" includes the dp by default. I don't know if I'm missing something and making a fool out of myself, but based on the fact that pin 2 is physically absent (wtf is going on...), it seems to me that it's indeed impossible to use the dp led for this lcd. Which leaves me confused and stupid. Lesson: next time read the datasheet BEFORE ordering.

Yep, does not seem to be connected.

"Lesson: next time read the datasheet BEFORE ordering." Yes again!

thanks for the confirmation
lesson learnt, kingbright you shall not deceive me again!

by the way, I find the whole issue rather bizarre: it reminds me of the ingenious way of making business by having just one line of products, half of which have some functions disabled at the factory, so that you have to pay extra for the "advanced" model which has extra features :slight_smile:

Production is much easier... You only build one version.. Cheaper too, the base price covers the cost of the parts for any configuration so the device is always paid for fully.

Bob

Docedison:
Production is much easier... You only build one version.. Cheaper too, the base price covers the cost of the parts for any configuration so the device is always paid for fully.

Bob

it makes sense, but isn't this unethical? I vaguely remember an article I once read which gave me the impression that such tactics are against the law, since they result in "artificially" inflated prices. I know off course, that speaking about ethics is a little odd, in times where jobs are outsourced to poorer countries so that we can enjoy lower prices for our home theaters at the expense of people having to work like slaves. Anyway, my point is that I was under the impression that such a thing is prohibited by the law.