Bummed! How could they sell them with this broken library?

For the sake of curiosity, I'm modifying some of my existing libs and hardware that work with LCD to use Winteck OLED sold by adafruit. I thought I could trust their OLED lib since the founder actually wrote the LiquidCrystal library (without the R/W pin). Am I wrong?! I wasted a whole night troubleshooting my code, hardware, breadboarded and used PCBs. No go. The screen would turn blank or spit gibberish. I finally nailed the problem to be clear(). It never works. Here is what I found out after I asked the question on their forum:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35735&p=176692#p176692

Pretty bad, basically clear() blink() cursor() display() and their counterparts are not working. I confirmed most of these with the simplest setup. On the other hand, home() works so I can limp on with home() and writing a lot of blanks to clear but can't show cursor or blink anymore.

How did they manage to sell this product with such a broken library and not telling the buyers about this?!

[Edit] I have a product link on adafruit forum post but here goes again: Blue Character OLED 16x2 : ID 823 : $27.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

$28 a pop, wow. Is having blue on black background a special deal? The Asian white characters on blue back-light are dirt chip on ebay?

I guess current saving not needing a back-light is the big deal?

Lefty

I was wondering about that too. Blue background white text LCDs seem dirt cheap. But anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with adafruit. The display, on the other hand, is pretty good looking!!!

After some modification I was able to use this display on my phi-panel:

Some remarks: