ArduinoUNO, LCD and RTC3234

I have succesully completed the LCD tutorial, and I my Real Time Clock (RTC3234) also seem to be working fine. I can't figure a way to connect the RTC to the LCD through the arduino tho. I would like the day and the time to be displayed on the LCD screen. Also, what would I need to implement to the program?

Thanks!

and I my Real Time Clock (RTC3234) also seem to be working fine.

I need some more information. What is an RTC3234 (link to datasheet) and how do you you know that it is working fine?

Don

Hi, thanks for reply. RTC3234 is a real time clock. (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10160).I know it is working ine, because I connected it to my arduino as indicated, and ran a sample program that comes with it...but I have no idea how to connect both (LCD and RTC) to my arduino...I tried, but it doesn't work at all

I don't know why, but I can assure you that neither your wiring nor your code is the problem.

I don't know why, but I can assure you that neither your wiring nor your code is the problem.

How can you possibly come up with a conclusion like that without seeing either the wiring or the code? Just because they work separately does in no way imply that they will work simultaneously.

Don

First of all, go back to reply #2 and fix the link.

I can't figure a way to connect the RTC to the LCD through the arduino tho.

The connections are the smallest part of your problem. The RTC requires specific pins so you have to connect this the same way you did before. The LCD can use any six unused Arduino pins so you determine it's connections after you deal with the RTC. Then you tell the sketch which connections you decided to use by putting the appropriate 'numbers' into the parentheses in the lcd.begin(...) statement.

I would like the day and the time to be displayed on the LCD screen. Also, what would I need to implement to the program?

This is a bit more involved but certainly not impossible. I am not an experienced C programmer but it seems to me that the Sparkfun sketch uses the 'String ReadTimeDate()' function to assemble the data it reads from the clock. You just have to send this same information to the LCD module instead of (or in addition to) sending it to the serial monitor.

Don

i have been working on rtc using 89c51 but couldnt finish it, if you did it with arduino, can u please send me the program n circuit details to abinjohnthomas@gmail.com