Arduino as telephone dialler

Can I use Arduino to call a telephone no.? I mean dial a particular number in case some condition is satisfied. and can I receive a call from a particular number and play a particular sound using arduino?
Is there a good tutorial or a circuit showing this implementation?

Google found me this:
http://brohogan.blogspot.com/2009/12/telephone-interface.html

I mean calling any particular number by a hard wired landline. wer arduino is stores the no. and dials that no. wen a particular condition is satisfied. this no. can be any valid phone no. available. I mean is there some tutorial showing that?
@gardner
I have already seen that link via google any other good links?

Warning:
On another thread ( I can't find it) there was a discussion about the voltages on a landline, and that these were not Arduino compatible (by a factor 20) and that in many countries it is not allowed to have non certified products on the phone lines. E.g. insurrance companies will not pay when they find out "illegal" eelctronics connected to phone lines.

I had thought the circuit was much simpler. and I dont think most of the stuff mentioned there in the link would be available in India. Thats y asked for some other link. gotta order from some where now I guess
:frowning:
Anyways thanx u guys :slight_smile:

A practical thing to do would be to buy a cheap phone and have the arduino do the button presses via transistors or similar.

If you are not concerned about the legal status, the circuit isn't all that difficult to make. Is that what you are asking about?

Yup thats wat I am asking for. Not much concerned about the legal stuff here :smiley:

If thats it then go by zoomkat's soution its easier if you dont want to build a circuit

I dont think most of the stuff mentioned there in the link would be available in India.

:frowning: >:( >:(
I ALSO LIVE IN INDIA They are available just dont forget to use Goole just because u didnt find it it dosent mean it is not available

Get a working stand alone modem that is compatible with your countries phone system. Use the arduino and newsoftserial and the extra CTS and RTS pins to control the modem. You should be able to issue an AT command to dial the modem. If there is a modem at the other end you should be able to send/receive ascii data with no problem.

Newsoftserial is speed limited. You may want to preconigure the modem to power up in a compatible mode.