Manual GEARBOX(car) + Arduino

Hello.

I intrested to install arduino with servo to car with manual transmission.
2 servo for change gear
1 servo for clutch
1 servo for Gas (cruisecontrol and other)
1 encoder to gas
1 encoder to brake
1 arduino with sd-slot(or other storage slot) for fast change "firmware"

Sorry for my bad english :wink:

invisible13:

OK.

Was there a question?

2 servo for change gear
1 servo for clutch
1 encoder to gas
1 encoder to brake

Being interested is very easy but all you want requires a very good hardware developed that can change the gear's and that needs to fit and get installed over the gear knob of the car and then from trial and error or with mathematics form the code to change the gears.

Not only that the breaks in a car and the clutch padel is something not fixed to one position I mean that with wear and tear the clutch may need to be pressed more and the breaks need to be pressed more and all that needs well sorted out programming because it may kill other's or eventually you.

It doesn't make sense to me to make a device that works on the gear selector knob. It makes more sense to pull out the shifter entirely and actuate the levers on the transmission directly. If this sounds too complicated then the whole project will be too complicated.

What wears out in the braking system is the linings and pads but because the system is hydraulic they self adjust. What does wear out on a car that effects braking is tires and shocks.

Under normal use the clutch's friction plate will wear but this will have more effect on clutching rather than de-clutching. Again though, actuate the master cylinder (if hydraulic) directly or the lever at the bell housing. If it's mechanical you need to leave some free play adjustment.

I sure hope you don't plan to use this on public roadways.

Installing a new transmission isn't all that difficult...

Just saying...

While certainly possible, this idea seems like more than most people would be able to manage.

Odds are you, like me, may be too young to remember those days, but there were years, many years, when automatic transmissions were awful. They always picked the wrong gears and people HATED them. It took teams of devoted automotive engineers decades to make an automatic transmission that felt as good as a good manual, and even more years to match the fuel economy.

If you are trying to emulate this you will be essentially starting from square one, and I wish you well, but you have a long way to go. On the other hand, if you are just trying to make DIY paddle shifters well you might just stand a chance, and as long as you don’t touch the breaks or the stearing I might not be afraid to drive on the same roads you are.

This is a very difficult project invisible13 and the fact that you've asked such a generic and all-ranging question indicates to me that it's a bridge way too far for you.

Rob

invisible13:
Hello.

2 servo for change gear
1 servo for clutch
1 encoder to gas
1 encoder to brake

hi
i have same idea with you
lets start

batuning:
lets start

You seem to be 4 years late arriving at the weigh-in :slight_smile:

...R