Disadvantages of Arduino Mega 2560?

Oh, the differences are:

The Mega uses the 128k chip, and the Mega2560 uses the 256k version of the same chip. Only difference is the amount of flash memory on the chip.

The Mega uses an FTDI FT232 usb serial interface chip, while the Mega2560 uses the 16u2. This doesn't matter for most users, though there are some advanced things you can do by reprogramming the 16u2.

The old 128kb Mega is scarce now, being mostly replaced with Mega2560, and clones thereof (which often use a CH340G serial adapter instead of 16u2 or FT232 for USB-serial)

OK, so if you look on the Arduino products page, you will find a section marked "Retired products".

The Arduino Mega is not included there. It's not on that page at all.

There is a reference at the bottom to "Older boards". If you follow that link, you will find the Mega.

So the Mega as a project is older than "retired"! What do you call something older than "retired"? :astonished:

Indeed - in current common usage (ie, on this forum), when someone refers to the "Mega", they're almost invariably referring to the Mega2560, not the old mega.

xtremefist23:
Can anyone cite any disadvantages for Arduino Mega 2560? We just need to have these information for the comparison of Microcontrollers for our project study. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Disadvantages? How much time do you have?

Mounting holes placed so that they are unusable.

No keep-out for the mounting holes, resulting in the need for insulating washers if you do try to use the mounting holes.

CPU is clocked with a temperature-unstable ceramic resonator instead of a crystal. (I REALLY would not mind paying an extra dollar for a dang crystal!).

No footprint on the board in which TO install a crystal if one wanted to (for example, USE a crystal or change the clock frequency, etc..)

Three of the five input capture pins are not connected to any IO connectors, making them useless.

Horrible 16u2 USB to Serial adapter (pukes anything above 115K baud). What was wrong with the FTDI?

Many 8 bit ports mish-mash connected to various places, making it difficult to find and use a contiguous 8 bit port for parallel writes and reads.

Pathetic little 5 volt regulator on board that overheats if it even THINKS about incoming voltage over 9.0
Not enough VCC and GND pins, invariably forcing the user to make special adapters to power added-on peripherals.

Terrible stock bootloader. The actual bootloader fits in 2K with room to spare, but it's clogged with over 6K of code providing a "monitor" that nobody uses and actually causes lockups if code or user input happens to contain the magic "!!!" string used to access it.

Everyone whines that "floating point libraries cannot be used because they consume an extra 1.5K of flash", but the wasted 6K of flash containing the unused monitor is OK? Go figure.

Serial bootloader and serial monitor are on the same port (even though the Mega has 4 UARTS (forcing the user to manually close the serial monitor before uploading another sketch if they use a real serial emulator instead of the barely functional one built into the IDE). Worse yet, forgetting to close the monitor usually causes the OS to think the current port is in use and it switches to another one, leaving the user wondering why he sees no more serial data.

There is a lot more wrong with the whole system (the terrible "IDE" for example), but that doesn't relate specifically to the Mega, so I won't go into it.

On this note....... does anyone know of a board that contains a MEGA2560 CPU, a crystal and an FTDI interface? (Doesn't have to be Arduino footprint compatible - in fact it it were footprint compatible, that would be a negative feature).

I spend way too much time hacking Arduino boards to get them to work properly... I need to find one that is "right" out of the box so I can get on with PROGRAMMING.

Krupski:
Disadvantages? How much time do you have?

So, does this mean you are not enthusiastic about it?

Why would you want an FTDI interface? What's wrong with a CP2102? Or even a CH340?

(The 16U2 was supposed to be an advantage! Why would it not function correctly? A code foul-up perhaps? Could you not fix that?)

Krupski:
Pathetic little 5 volt regulator on board that overheats if it even THINKS about incoming voltage over 9.0

That is the issue with dog hunter AG using inferior components, possibly? Starting the end of 2013, I've seen the MEGA2560 coming with a small regulator with backward C then || marking. They have overheat issues with input voltage at 12V, after a few minutes of use. Affected a number of data loggers in a project, had to circumvent it with 12V-5V buck regulators. Same brand of regulators on wireless sd shield will not be able to power an xbee pro 900 HP (output voltage swings). Same shield manufactured a little earlier using 1117-3.3 type regulators never have this issue.

On the software side, the larger FLASH must require some long jumps and 4-byte PROGMEM pointers. I don't know to what extent this makes the code longer and slower though. Also I don't know if arduino IDE has solved the issue of using the upper 128KB FLASH (probably solved it already, but at one point you could only use the lower 128KB FLASH).

The 2560 needs (or "should have") a better and less common device programmer hardware for loading software.
(Arduino as ISP and USBTiny don't work, for instance.)

The 2560 may run into avr-gcc "oddities" when dealing with the bank switching necessary for accessing programs longer than 128kbytes (actually, SOME of those show up at >64kbytes, so they might be an issue for 1280-based Arduinos as well.) (liudr mentioned a couple.)

One issue I ran into was in larger projects that incorporate a lot of compiled libraries and source code libraries. The absence of long jumps in the code breaks function calls (my code) that originate from a memory location that is more than 64Kwords (or is it bytes) away from the function being called (library code). I had to do my own versions of strncpy so I don't have to call it when in actuality short jumps originating all over my code can't all reach it.

I still don't know how to solve this issue, just replacing stdlib calls with my own code to get by.

westfw:
The 2560 needs (or "should have") a better and less common device programmer hardware for loading software.

The 2560 may run into avr-gcc "oddities" when dealing with the bank switching necessary for accessing programs longer than 128kbytes (actually, SOME of those show up at >64kbytes, so they might be an issue for 1280-based Arduinos as well.) (liudr mentioned a couple.)

I use an AVRISPMKII (a real Atmel one, not the Olimex clone that's labelled to look like an Atmel).

Never have any problems flashing any board or chip.

People try to save a buck and end up with $100 worth of grief in return.

Paul__B:
So, does this mean you are not enthusiastic about it?

Why would you want an FTDI interface? What's wrong with a CP2102? Or even a CH340?

(The 16U2 was supposed to be an advantage! Why would it not function correctly? A code foul-up perhaps? Could you not fix that?)

The firmware in my 16u2 chips is factory stock. I've never touched them, flashed them or modified them.

As far as the CP-2102, it's also just fine (I've got a few from Sparkfun as breakout boards). Don't have any experience with the CH340.

Unfortunately the Atmel AVR ISP MKii are no longer available for purchase. I use mine a lot, and bought a couple spares from Rochester Electronics at a slight premium in price.
I believe Nick Gammon's hex code uploader works just fine, and I have developed this standalone programmer to run that code & load files from SD card. I'll try it with a Mega to confirm.

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

So the Mega as a project is older than "retired"! What do you call something older than "retired"?

Consultant 8)

westfw:

pgm_get_far_address () and pgm_read_byte_far () can access any address in the 2560.

In fact, I have a riot with a 2560 board loaded with about 235K of digitized audio (8 khz mono) of the "Mr Softee Ice Cream Truck" jingle and an 8 bit R-2R ladder DAC feeding an amplifier.

In summer I play it out the window and then ROFLMAO watching the kids come outside desperately searching for the ice cream truck!

This is the entire program!

int main (void)
{
    sei (); // interrupts on
    uint32_t x, y, z;
    while (1) {
        x = 0x0400; // wav data loaded at this offset
        y = 234893; // file size
        z = (1e9 / 8000); // constant for 8 khz sample rate
        while (y--) {
            DDRK = 0x00; // prevent popping due to timing skew in the AVR
            PORTK = pgm_read_byte_far (x++); // send sample to DAC
            DDRK = 0xFF; // play sample
            _delay_ns (z);
        }
        _delay_ms (3000); // 3 seconds between plays - just like the truck!
    }
}

CrossRoads:
Consultant 8)

Oh. I call them "Professor". :slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
Unfortunately the Atmel AVR ISP MKii are no longer available for purchase. I use mine a lot, and bought a couple spares from Rochester Electronics at a slight premium in price.

Yeah, I noticed that they became scarce. I found a place that still had some (Newark I think) and bought 2 extras, so I have the one I use all the time and two spare still NIB.

The one I use daily is a real hack job... I replaced the power LED with a blue one (I love blue LED's!) and added a toggle switch to enable or disable the 5 volt feed-through from the USB port to the ICSP port (so I can burn stand-alone boards without applying separate power). The case has a crack in it and it's all scratched up and has a few burn/melt marks from "someone" who was careless soldering all red-eyed at 4:00 AM :slight_smile: but it still works fine.

Krupski:
Oh. I call them "Professor". :slight_smile:

Jeez Krupski, quit binge-watching futurama!

CR, you know how old I am. I'm both. But I'm not 200 yr old!

I never said you were retired liudr :slight_smile:
I'd like to be, but it's not gonna happen while my son is still in college 8)

I actually meant contractor and professor. Right, I wish I were retired. Can't do that just yet. Have a little munchkin.

CR, your son, he started about a year ago? It'll be over in 3 years as long as he stays focused and doesn't take the 20hr/week work. Biggest waste of human resource of all time! College kids working for HS graduate wages on mindless jobs and extend their college year by 1-3 years. They first think they are supermen, taking full course load and 20-30hr work. The gap between HS and college is huge by itself. With no time to study, their GPAs crash and they cut back on jobs later. It takes a couple of years to stabilize and bounce back. By that time they've lost a lot of confidence and may have switched to business majors (yikes!).

No, several - senior this year. But sort of a funny senior - he started school as a sophomore, ton of AP credits in math & science (5s on APs), so he got to skip the typical freshman classes. But we found out last year that it put him a little out of class sequence. Needs two more classes, but is taking the prerequisites now, and the 2 needed are only offered in the fall semester, so two more classes next fall to finish, maybe do a couple towards an MSEE too while he's there. Has already had 2 great summers of high-tech summer jobs, do that again next summer and he'll golden for hiring in Dec 2016.
No mindless jobs during the school year, lucky in that respect.

That's excellent! Every engineer/scientist-wannabe should do lots of AP physics/chem/math, circuits and programming if offered. Many don't know about that and still made it to college wanting STEM degrees. All they took were 3 yrs of biology and stats, maybe one semester of algebra and geometry if lucky. If I were given only one semester to ace that physics course but I had no idea what physics is or calculus is, I'd be in a lot of pain myself.