best way to store arduino and components

YoshiFan501:
i personally like the suitcase style ones like
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

If that works better for you (if you don't have the room for cabinets, or you need the portability, etc) - go for it. I would make sure to purchase many of them, though (maybe like 10 or more); because a year or so from now, when you need to buy more, you won't be able to get that same style (which is why I like the StackOn cabinets; they haven't changed in years - even so, I bought more than I needed).

The key to successful organization is mainly in consistency and labeling; unfortunately, in the consumer-market storage realm, they like to screw that first part up on a regular basis, to make you keep buying new stuff for the same use. Believe me, I used to have several random manufactured multi-drawer cabinets, and random boxes, etc - it was a complete nightmare.

I ended up standardizing on the StackOn cabinets, plus a three sizes of a particular make/model of snap-lid plastic storage containers, and then I bought many more than I needed at the time (I still have some unused, and it's been almost 2 years!). This way I know I won't run into the "randomness" factor in my storage in the near future. I also standardized on my shelving system, too (one particular type above my workbench, and a set of gorilla racks elsewhere in my shop).

Labeling is important so you know at a glance what is in each box, and each compartment; I am not sure how you can properly label the compartments in one of those suitcase-style units - you may need to just make up some kind of "legend" attached to the lid, or stick the labels on the dividers, or make some cardboard "tents" to fit over the components, but inside each compartment. Trust me, its easier to do this than to attempt to look at the components (especially if you have one box for resistors, another for transistors/mosfets, another for diodes/LEDs, etc).