Arduino Yún .CC vs .ORG Compatibility?

I recently purchased 4 Arduino Yúns from SparkFun for a project I am working on. I've never worked with Yúns before, but I had an existing project I completed using a laptop with an Arduino Uno, and I was trying to accomplish the same project using a Yún without needing a laptop attached. (I could probably accomplish this using a Ethernet Shield, but the Yún seemed like it was a easier solution with everything built in.)

I already knew about the whole Arduino.CC vs Arduino.ORG controversy. I didn't order from Amazon because I wasn't sure which version I would end up receiving, and I wanted to make sure that I got the Arduino.CC version. The photo on SparkFun's website showed the .CC version, so I assumed I was going to get the right product. Unfortunately, they sent me the .ORG version instead.

I looked around online and several places are saying that the Arduino Yún has been discontinued. I haven't been able to find anywhere on Arduino.CC's website that explicitly states this, but I wasn't able to find it in the online store there either.

I really don't like the Arduino.org software for the Yún. I have found one case online where someone has managed to flash the .CC software on his .ORG Yún, and everything appears to be fine:
http://www.arduino.org/forums/yun/web-error-after-upgrading-87

I assume this is a pretty risky move, especially with the warranty void disclaimer on the bootloader upgrade instructions, but I was hoping someone could give me some guidance. These forums still seem to be relatively active. However, if the Yún really is discontinued, more and more of these .ORG versions are going to be out in the wild. Can these (relatively) safely use the .CC software? Does anybody know of any possible complications from this?

I'm just wondering. I'd rather not delay this project with returning these units to SparkFun and trying to get .CC versions from elsewhere, if they'd even be available.

Well, I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and try it after I didn't receive any responses here. Flashed the bootloader and ran the upgrade several weeks ago, everything looks like it's running as it's supposed to. No problems here! Would be nice if others chimed in.

Thanks for the report. I don't think there's much experience out there with .cc vs .org compatibility. I've heard of some minor differences, like some packages not being there by default on one version or the other, but it's good to hear that the system software is generally compatible.

@RHOPKINS13
Thanks for the report. Many of us here, including my self are having a difficult time supporting the .org version of the Yun. It's not that we don't want to help developers - but both parties in the dispute have taken rather pig-headed approaches to the issue.

.org keeps releasing new version, not realizing the mess they have made. They are quite unaware that without third-party developer support, they have no product - at least one not worth buying.

.cc appears to have surrendered to .org and the situation, their silence leads to frustration with developers willing to support the product line - without pay. Least of all, they have shown no "good faith" efforts.

Sadly, until the July case gets under way we are stuck. Consider other products until then.

Best of Luck
Jesse

I had an issue where web pages (e.g., /sd/) were not being served on my .org unit. I successfully flashed the .cc bootloader (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunUBootReflash) and upgraded (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunSysupgrade), thus resolving the web issue.