SD card read/write with Arduino

Hi everyone,

Earlier, ducttapepro6 wrote:

Mr. Orange-

I had no trouble getting your code up and running in 15 minutes - happily logging, saving, and reading the input to analog1.

However, after hitting the arduino reset button, I found that the read function returns junk(from the SD card).

Shouldn't the SD card retain data after a power cycle? or, is it a function of the code that you so nicely supplied to get me started - and I just don't understand it, yet?

Along with Daniel, I'm hoping that someone can explain why the card starts up with the same junk data each time, if the first thing I do when the sketch runs is hit 'r'.

agent_orange says that it's like having a 1G (or whatever) EEPROM, which is IDEAL for my situation. My arduino will be sitting in a box, on top of a pole, powered by a solar panel for up to 3 months at a time. I have it successfully writing the date and max & min temperatures to the EEPROM, which I can read back out as desired. The EEPROM data is only overwritten after a new sketch is started. This is the functionality that I require from the SD card, but the supplied code appears to wipe the card each time the sketch is started. (I tried commenting out the if(!sd_raw_init()) but that didn't help).

agent_orange, thanks so much for supplying this work, it's fantastic & there's no WAY that I'd be able to work this out on my own. But if anyone can show me a way (even if it's a seperate sketch) to access the data on the card without destroying it, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I guess the other option would be if someone could recommend a Windows-based program which could access the data on the SD card?

Thanks for reading everyone!!