Ardomotic - Free Arduino Domotic Project

This is great, I'm looking forward to seeing the source code. I'm in the middle of a similar project, but might ditch the PC in favor of having the Arduino serve the web page.

Yes unless u need to do something more demanding or feel like implementing a more complex interface, i thing just using the arduino is actually a nice was to go :slight_smile:
My initial idea actually was to make an iPhone app to control everything, but then i just went for the 1-size-fits-all html interface... May be a bit simpler, but it works everywhere :wink:

As i mentioned there are still a few things i want to sort out in the code before making it public, but hopefully it will be done within a month or so :slight_smile:

Very cool project. I'm personally interested in your code to see how you inplemented the website into your code. I'm pretty sure you are using an SD card for storing your webpages, but I would like to know how. :wink:

It is very good. I am making my new home a smart home, you can visit the link in my signature.
You have documented your project?

@JO3RI
You would be wrong :slight_smile: I am not using a card, i am using an EEPROM. But it is only used to store the images though. The webpage is created dynamically by the code, since their state can change. And the devices are all initialized in the setup() function. For instance, i have a line with the code:

ADD_DEVICE_SWITCH( "Xmas Tree Lights", DEVICE_CONTROL_RADIO, IMAGE_XMAS_ON, 0, 166);

and that's pretty much all you need to to add or remove devices from the system. All of the pages are created according to the devices that we add in setup :slight_smile:

@flico
I actually already had seen your project a couple months ago already! :slight_smile: Major wirings that you will be doing :slight_smile: I was lazy on that part, so i went wireless and bought some Chacon controllers for that part.
I will make a proper webpage and some documentation at some point, hopefully in the next month or so. I am trying to make the code very modular, so that it is easy to add new types of devices and new ways to control them. Whenever you do something, it always end up in this piece of code:

switch (dev_control)
{
case DEVICE_CONTROL_WIRED: sr.setRegisterNow(dev_id, dev_data); break;
case DEVICE_CONTROL_RADIO: sendRadioOrder(dev_id, dev_data); break;
}
For now i've only implemented wired (using the pinouts of a shift register) and radio controlled (using the chacon wireless protocol).

I saw in your site you talk about having the devices on a I2C bus. To make it work with ardomotics, you would only need to create a function like:

void sendI2COrder(byte device_identificator, byte new_device_status)

and add the function in a new case statement :slight_smile:

no words.... except awesome.

Yeh ditto to that . Looking forward to the code
Geez where to next arduino?

OK.

Ditto on the looking for code. Just got about 25 relays (traded for a pack of cigs, ha!) And i'm hankering to get started on some internet linked home automation! OP's link is down, is there anywhere to go for new/any updates/information?

Really nice work!
Made me laugh alone for 2 minutes while playing with your xmas tree. XD

I made something similar in which I showed in this topic: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,74872.0.html
But I'm not good at html and my page was ugly, only with buttons.
You did a nice job with the interface and the house drawnings. Excelent work!

Looking forward to see your codes! :slight_smile:

@guardian
I plan on doing a proper webpage with all the goodies and updates, when everything is completed. When i do it i will link the site here on the arduino forums too. The code is almost done, the first release should be soon. These days I just been having some issues with opening and closing the windows. The problem is actually physical, my relays were breaking because of power spikes caused when using the relays do turn the motors on and off... Since i'm not used to work with this kind of stuff an my electronic knowlege is VERY limited when it comes to inductive stuff... It's taking me a while to figure things out :s I'd like to have it all working when I release it, so that i could also make a nice demo video :slight_smile:

@rivello
Just saw your site. I'm portuguese, so i could understand it all, no language problems :slight_smile:
U got a cool project there too. I also did a similar thing with my building door (opend the intercom and put a relay in parallel with the OPEN button) :slight_smile:
I see you hacked the existing hardware for the remote control parts. I thought of doing that too in the beginning, but then I decided to do a little more research and learn a bit about the communication protocols. I made a small application (arduino+processing) to help decoding the wireless signals, and then the arduino just repeats it :slight_smile: I will publish that program too, I guess it might be useful for someone else.
As for the code, as I said I hope to publish it soon... Unfortunatelly I'm way more lazy to do webpages and documentation than I am to do code :slight_smile:

Nice! It's a good idea, I think I'll do the same. With a "signal recorder" it would work with any gate, regardless of the control. :slight_smile:

tarquinio:
The problem is actually physical, my relays were breaking because of power spikes caused when using the relays do turn the motors on and off... Since i'm not used to work with this kind of stuff an my electronic knowlege is VERY limited when it comes to inductive stuff... It's taking me a while to figure things out :s

Did you put a diode in parallel reverse to the relay coil? Like that?

Rivello:
Nice! It's a good idea, I think I'll do the same. With a "signal recorder" it would work with any gate, regardless of the control. :slight_smile:

Yes you can analyze different signals, even from other stuff, like infrared remotes (haven't worked much on those, but the principle is the same, only they use light instead of radio, and lower frequencies). At some i point i'd also like to integrate my air conditioning in this project too, but that will take quite some time, since air conditioning codes are quite more complex.

About the relay stuff... Thanks for the link, but my problem is not with the relay coil. The problem is the actual motor that the relay is controlling... The same thing that happens in the relay coil, and we fix with the diode, also happens with motors, but is much stronger (since it's a 120W motor). In this case it's strong enough to meld the contacts together, and the relay stays on all the time :s The idea is to make a filter to compensate the effect of the motor, but i don't even have the specs of the motor, which unfortunately is making things harder. :frowning: (You might also want to warn on your site for people to be careful when doing stuff with 220V motors :wink:

This is awesome!

Playing with the lights on your christmas tree was great :slight_smile:

Well it was fun having everyone playing around with the tree, but now it's a new year, so the tree is gone so i'm back to working on the code... Hopefully will finish it soon and then i'll publish it on a dedicated webpage, so next year everyone can have their own Christmas trees online :wink:

Have you noticed people have a compulsion to look over your shoulder and tell you what to do ?
Its psychological and we all have it.

Your project was a flash of brilliance at Christmas. Thanks
Others would like to be able to do that for next Christmas I am sure , myself included.

My other thought was that any project such as that would be enhanced by a video camera being moveable in one or two planes so we can pan around. I switched on the lights in all the other rooms but could not see a change so a swiveling camera with zoom inside a pretty 18 year olds bedroom would be super! ( there was one with a fish tank I was compelled to try , I'll try find that and post a link but a fish tank is only entertaining for a short time)

Just kidding ,but people do like to pry and something like a camera in the kitchen ,lounge or laundry , bedrooms ,bathrooms and garage etc will be the next live TV fad I suppose ,if they can control it through the Internet and you seem to be well on the way

Thanks again

Thank you.
I plan on integrating an option for servo control in the future. Having that, it's easy to have a camera that you can move around. Controlling the servos is actually quite easy, the tricky part is changing the current interface so you can input numbers easily.
In this case having the camera moving around wouldn't allow you to see much more though... Two messy desks, and sometimes a guy working on a pc on one of them :stuck_out_tongue: The remote control on the lights of the rest of my house was disabled while I had this public test, because it was not very practical having lights turn on and off by themselves all the time when ur doing stuff around the house :slight_smile:

OK I saw a couple of these actually but yours seemed to function best.

My thoughts on a camera were pan and tilt and zoom control. In the future this will be common I think but the problem will be if 100 people all want to use it at the same time.
Like the girl in the bedroom bit.
I thought maybe enough cameras set in a circular pod so there is always a 360 degree view and the user moves from camera to camera.
perhaps there is now or will be a scanning type camera which rotates mirrors at X times a second to feed a camera .
Those individual streams fed to a central storage unit and fed to users as demanded
However that does not give tilt or zoom unless the mirror type idea has mirrors further up and down of the central circle of mirrors. The zoom might have to be digital zoom for now
So I'm thinking and looking around atm
Cheers

Hello everyone.
Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, since it's been almost a year now... Unfortunatelly I had some problems and didn't do any work on this project for ages. I'm currently working on a new version that adds a lot of different features, but for now, here is the homepage with the code for the old version:

Have fun with it, let's see those xmas lights on :slight_smile: