Xbee communication with a remote computer ?

Hi there,
I just need to figure out how I can make my Arduino communicating using an XBee module with a computer.

My only question is about the computer side.
are there XBee module pluggable on the computer directly ? or should I have to use another arduino with Xbee module and make the com using virtual communication over USB ?

are there XBee module pluggable on the computer directly ? or should I have to use another arduino with Xbee module and make the com using virtual communication over USB ?

The former is wrong, the latter is correct, if XBee means a ZigBee module. There are also XBee modules for WiFi or Bluetooth communication but because you didn't specify a protocol I assume ZigBee.
For communication with a PC, Bluetooth would be a cheaper alternative.

There are USB Explorer boards, like so: SparkFun XBee Explorer USB - WRL-11812 - SparkFun Electronics or SparkFun XBee Explorer Dongle - WRL-11697 - SparkFun Electronics

No Arduino is needed at the PC end.

Just designed a solution including this explorer.
Thanks a lot to confirm me that can work :slight_smile:

My only unknown point is the fact we can charge the Polymer Lithium Or Battery using the Arduino FiO.
It is written yes on the official FIO page, but not on some others.

I guess we can because the USB mini on the FIO cannot be used to program it... it is only made for charging battery

The FIO includes a MAX1555 LiPo charging controller, so yes you can charge the battery with the FIO.

Thanks a lot pylon.
I guess my solution is designed.

Now, ordering and prototyping :slight_smile:

I'll let you know!