Comparison of Arduino Starter kits

Hi,

Check out our kit (no arduino)
http://simplelabs.co.in/drupal/content/arduino-quick-starter-kit

and clone board
http://www.simplelabs.co.in/drupal/content/induino-low-cost-arduino-usb-clone-board

Let me know of any comments. There is another variant of this coming out soon.

Cheers,
Pracas

Thanks for ur sharing,
I'm appllying it right now and hope it will be okay.

Hi, just wanted to add that I ordered my kit from Earthshine and received it in pretty good time. Looks like a good kit, I just need some time learn how to use it now!

SparkFun has updated their kit. It's now called the SparkFun Inventor's Kit.

After wading through your articles and thinking a lot more about this than I should be, this is the one I went with. I like the idea of the bigger breadboard and the parts list seems decent.

The link for the SparkFun kit is: SparkFun Inventor's Kit - KIT-09837 - SparkFun Electronics

The inventors kit looks cool but pretty pricey...perhaps they should've use fritzing for the overlays. Soon i will post a video with our kit laid out.

For anyone interested/waiting, I'm sorry I haven't gotten this done yet. I've had work and a number of personal projects that have been getting in the way. Also, I'm trying to find a strong format for presenting the information that's really readable.

At the moment, the list is in table form, with collapsible review sections and nice fixed scrollable sections so it's actually readable.

Anyway, I promise it's on the way. :slight_smile:

That sparkfun one looks as if it's an american version of the British oomlout starter kit.

It's what I started with, it's has a good range of bits and is great at telling you how to get stuff working but doesn't really cover why.

I ordered the Earthshine kit because I liked the book and wanted the parts to go with their manual. They give you a great assortment for the money and sent a LCD instead of a UK power supply since I am in the USA.

Cutedigi also has a starter kit for $55. I ordered a few parts from them.

Yes, it is essentially the oomlout kit. The exact phrase on the Sparkfun site is: "On top of that, we've joined forces with Oomlout to offer a small booklet to get you started"

Very detailed comparison, the price is really quite a big difference.
Good work man

Hi sircastor,

I'm looking forward to your latest version.

Me too! I'm looking to into buying my first Arduino and am really thinking I should go the kit route. Hopefully you can get around to updating it here in the next week or two :slight_smile:

Till then I guess I'll read part2 you posted a bit back...

There are now kits available for my book. Initially just in the UK, but rest of the world to follow.

http://www.arduinoevilgenius.com/Arduino/Kits.html

I am am US Arduino noob and am wondering what the cost hit is for ordering a kit form the UK. I like the looks of the UK kits more than some of the US offerings but don't know if the parts costs more over there and the added shipping make it worth it.

Okay folks. It took a lot longer than I expected, but I have finally finished the update.

V2 is now in chart form, offers convenient tooltip explanations of components, and has toggle-able reviews. This not only makes it easier for me to update, but I think easier for a basic user to understand the different kits and their values.

The new version has taken residence at my electronics website ConductiveResistance.com.
The comparison chart is located here.

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Improvements will be made as ideas come to me and I have time. If you know of a kit that should be included, shoot me an email at info@conductiveresistance.com

Note: Rule of thumb about kits is that they must include an Arduino and be intended as a kit for introducing a person to Ardunio.

Thanks for all your encouragement and patience as I was putting this together.

Sircastor

Excellent piece of information. Job well done!

Dr.Andrew

SirCastor. Thanks! You inspire us to put the effort into sharing stuff!

Thanks, very helpful list, so that I can decide which part I should have in stock.