Chinese Laser Cutter Modifications

I've bought a Chinese laser cutter off eBay and I'm doing a number of modifications to it - just thought people might be interested - it's being documented here: Build Thread Cheap laser cutter modifications.

I'm going to be adding lots of extra electronics too it which will probably appeal members of this community more but I'm working up to that - major mods first (like a new alu honeycomb bed, extraction, cooling etc.)

Feel free to ask any questions/make suggestions.

Pics with short captions are all on my Google+ here: http://plus.google.com/photos/114914009219195219650/albums/5664053382930806001

Mowcius

Getting an error 500 on the google+ link :frowning:

Works here but edited, try that.

And what about the pics in the CNCzone forum? (they're linked straight from it)

That looks great, were you tempted to try it first before embarking on the mods?

Well I shot some holes through a few thin paper pads and some acrylic but no not really - the controller board and software is pretty crap so once I've done my mods I'll likely be replacing that stuff anyway. I know the steppers work fine as homing worked fine so with that and the laser burning through stuff I'm happy enough that it works.

I didn't think I'd have the thing for another few weeks so I'm fine not using it - the mods are just as fun as making stuff.

There's a lot more to come mods wise - what I've done so far is minor...
Just removed the whole X/Y assembly tonight and the secondary mirror and tertiary mirror/lens setup ready for relocating :wink:

All pics are OK :slight_smile:

Great thing! some power tests? :>

some power tests?

What do you mean?

It's stated as a 40W tube (maybe 40W if I keep it a decent cool temp) and it seems somewhere near that from the holes I've made so far (I've used a 60W and an 80W laser cutter before).
The unit itself is rated as 250W but I'll measure that at some point when I have it running.

mowcius:

some power tests?

What do you mean?

It's stated as a 40W tube (maybe 40W if I keep it a decent cool temp) and it seems somewhere near that from the holes I've made so far (I've used a 60W and an 80W laser cutter before).
The unit itself is rated as 250W but I'll measure that at some point when I have it running.

My only concern so far with your mods is the replacement of the window; that amber color is likely a filter for the wavelength of the laser, so that any spurious reflections while looking at the cutter work don't damage your eyes. Then again, that's just a guess (based only on using special safety glasses/goggles with a 200mW green laser pointer).

I might have to check ebay again - see how much the prices have come down since I last looked...

Well, I just looked - and prices are down; really down since the last I looked. Your particular machine costs about $800.00 USD (+s/h); 40W laser tubes can be had for around $150.00 USD (+s/h). Much better pricing from when I last remember; of course, those prices are "drop-shipped from china" - and I don't quite trust dropping nearly a bill to a chinese supplier (I might be willing using escrow, though - did you use an escrow service?). I did find one guy selling from florida - but he only had local pickup (no shipping). Interesting, all the same - can't wait to hear how your mods and such turn out!

:slight_smile:

cr0sh:
My only concern so far with your mods is the replacement of the window; that amber color is likely a filter for the wavelength of the laser, so that any spurious reflections while looking at the cutter work don't damage your eyes. Then again, that's just a guess (based only on using special safety glasses/goggles with a 200mW green laser pointer).

I might have to check ebay again - see how much the prices have come down since I last looked...

Well, I just looked - and prices are down; really down since the last I looked. Your particular machine costs about $800.00 USD (+s/h); 40W laser tubes can be had for around $150.00 USD (+s/h). Much better pricing from when I last remember; of course, those prices are "drop-shipped from china" - and I don't quite trust dropping nearly a bill to a chinese supplier (I might be willing using escrow, though - did you use an escrow service?). I did find one guy selling from florida - but he only had local pickup (no shipping). Interesting, all the same - can't wait to hear how your mods and such turn out!

:slight_smile:

Re. window colour, everyone seems to make that comment :wink: with an IR CO2 laser such as this it's the acrylic that stops the laser radiation, if it was a visible wavelength then it would most likely pass straight through the window but as it is, 6mm of clear is probably safer than 3mm of amber coloured dubious quality Chinese acrylic.
The amber colour reduces glare but I'm not stupid enough to stare at the burning material constantly :wink:
And going back to the clear window, look at universal or epilog laser cutters - you don't see any silly coloured window do you :wink:

Re. pricing, yes they have gone down a lot, I was rather surprised when I found I could get one so cheap. Mine was actually sent from the UK rather than direct from China, a lot of the sellers seem to have multiple places they ship from, look in the item description.

So lots more mods to come still, I think my honeycomb arrived yesterday as I have a suitable sized box waiting to be opened but unfortunately I was rather I'll yesterday so will probably spend most of today in bed :confused: