Problem uploading Arduino Uno [Mac]

Hi guys,

I've bought an Arduino Uno last week. I've connected it to my Macbook but I cant upload my code.
When I plug in the Arduino the window with the Network Preferences doesnt show up. I get the error "Problem uploading to the board".
I can choose between 4 serial ports. I've tried all of them but no one is working. I've set programmer to "Arduino ISP".

Can somebody help me figure out whats wrong?

Regards,
Mike

Mike_NL:
I've bought an Arduino One last week.

If you bought something that literally says Arduino "One", return it. There's no such thing.

Mike_NL:
When I plug in the Arduino the window with the Network Preferences doesnt show up. I get the error "Problem uploading to the board". I can choose between 4 serial ports.

And those serial ports are what?

Mike_NL:
I've tried all of them but no one is working. I've set programmer to "Arduino ISP".

The programmer is related to burning the boot loader and has no effect on uploading code.

What API version are you using ?
Did you select the correct board in the API?

At first, I mean 'Arduino Uno', sorry for that.

I see these ports:

luxxtek:
What API version are you using ?
Did you select the correct board in the API?

I use version 1.0.
I've selected ''Arduino Uno".

Your Arduino isn't getting assigned a serial port.

What version of OS X are you using? Where did you buy the Arduino from?

I use OS X 10.7.3.

I've bought my Arduino from eBay.

I guessed eBay was involved. Usually is when problems like this come up.

You might try posting a picture of it. Either a) the ATmega8u2 wasn't flashed correctly or b) it doesn't use one.

If it isn't using the ATmega8u2, the picture might help to identify what usb to serial chip is being used.

Hmm, I have checked the USB controller. There is an PL2303 chip on it. I've installed the drivers and there are now 2 more serial ports showing up.

I have tried both but now I get the error avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

It has been a couple of years since I encountered a Prolific chipset. However, back when I did see it, their drivers for OS X weren't functional. Some applications were able to communicate, some where. Some hardware worked, some didn't. (I was writing software to communicate with GPS units.)

Even though you were told you bought a Uno, it doesn't mean that's what boot loader was burned on it. This is the problem with the clone makers. Nothing about what they sell is the truth.

The error message you are getting basically says that avrdude (the utility that does the programming) can't communicate with the boot loader. Try using the Duemilanove board type instead of Uno.

Also verify it is actually an ATmega328 and not a ATmega168.