PROBLEM: Dynamic filename creation with SD card

Hi all,

I have been spending a lot time browsing this forum while working on my school project, it has been very helpful thus far and thank you all for that!! I have been unable to find a solution to my current problem though.

I want to create a new file every month for logging data using an RTC. I am aware that the SD.open function only accepts character arrays, the following code is a result of my research to solve the problem, however, it still doesn't work. The only thing I can get to work is when I physically type in a desired file name with quotes i.e. ... SD.open("FILE NAME.TXT" , FILE_WRIGHT); I don't understand why SD.open won't accept a char variable as an argument, or in this instance at least.

Here is the function I have written to try and accomplish this, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

void create_file()
{
  DateTime now = rtc.now();
  t_year = now.year();
  t_month = now.month();

if(t_month != time_month_past) file_flag = 0;

if(file_flag == 0) 
  {
  file_flag = 1;    
  String temp;
  temp.reserve(25);
  temp = String("Data-");
  temp += String(t_month);
  temp += String("-");
  temp += String(t_year);
  temp += String(".txt");
  char filename[temp.length()+1];
  temp.toCharArray(filename, sizeof(filename));
  // Open/create the log file
  dataFile = SD.open(filename, FILE_WRITE);
  if (! dataFile) 
    {
    // Wait forever, cant write data
    while (1) ;
    }
  }
  time_month_past = t_month;
}

Hardware:
Arduino Leonardo
Adafruit Assembled Data Logger (Adafruit Assembled Data Logging shield for Arduino : ID 1141 : $13.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits)

The filename on an SD card can only be 8.3 format. Even if t_year is 2 chars you are generating a 10.3 name.
I'd also suggest that you put the year before the month in the filename so that a directory listing will have the files in the proper order.

Pete

Use sprintf() to populate a char array instead of wasting resources with the String class.

I found a solution !! just to let anyone know out there who was taking a look at this for me !

Basically my file name was simply too long due to the fact my SD card is FAT16 which only supports 8.3 filename format below is a link to the forum where I found this information and a little wiki link to 8.3 file format.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148888.0.html

That's exactly what I said yesterday.

Pete

Hey Pete,

When I replied I hit the "My Latest Posts" button (first time poster) and didn't see your reply at the time, thanks again for getting back to me so quickly, much appreciated.

Andrew