Arduino Minecraft Server

i was wondering how i could run a minecraft server with an arduino.

i was wondering how i could run a minecraft server with an arduino.

Go to http://www.minecraft.net/download and download the version for the Arduino. Oh, wait. There isn't one. Perhaps the Windows one could be modified. It's only a 270 KB download. Should fit easily in the Arduino's 32 K of code space. Or not.

1 Like

To give a better answer than the troll above me :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, sure. It would be possible.
Making a Arduino run Java and then loads the minecraft_server.jar is hard, probably impossible,
But I've seen people make servers for minecraft that dont use Java at all; in fact they used c wich is similar to the arduino programming.

Conclusion:
Probably hard, but POSSIBLE (Arduino's can do ANYTHING 8))

Grab the minecraft server spec, look at the protocol and data management requirements. See if you can come up with a design that will run on a Uno or a Mega and fit in the flash and ram and meet the performance requirements for the number of simultaneous clients you want to use the server.

If the spec doesn't exist, reverse engineer an existing server.

1 Like

Victor61:

I liked Paul's answer.

It's hard to know where to start. My son is running a Minecraft server. To run at a reasonable speed it is on a PC with 4 Gb of RAM. You need Java, you need substantial amounts of memory to hold the world map, mobs, objects, players, etc.

You might be able to make Tetris. But Minecraft? No.

The Minecraft world is made up of "chunks" of terrain. Each chunk is 16 x 16 x 128 blocks. So even if you stored a single byte per chunk (eg. the type of block) that is 32768 bytes for a world comprising a single chunk. The Arduino Uno has 2048 bytes. So you have a major problem straight away.

You can probably make a nice maze game, with randomly generated mazes. I say that, because I am working on one right now. But it isn't Minecraft, and it won't be a server.

If you want a Minecraft server, grab an old PC (not too old), install Linux on it, and then install Minecraft.

Victor61:

Let me make a suggestion. You make 20280 posts, helping people with all their problems with the Arduino (you have 20279 to go) and then accuse PaulS of being a troll.

I wonder, however, if it might be fun (not practical but fun) to have the arduino in some way react to what's happening in-game. An idea might be to have the Arduino hooked up to a series of LED's which serve as a health meter. Even that, however, would be a tricky bit of programming.

Arduinos can to ANYTHING

Can they make you go away?

Arduino's can't run Java, for one thing. Do you have a clue what is involved in running a Java application on any hardware? I didn't think so.

While PaulS appears to offer input on a great number of threads, his tone is nearly always condescending and antagonistic.

This thread is no exception.

Many people are here because they are new to the Arduino, and probably programming, too. These people, such as the OP, should be commended for getting their hands dirty and attempting to dive into a steep learning curve of micro controllers, electronics and low level programming languages.

Cut them some slack or simply bite your tongue - a little bit of patience and courtesy goes a long way.

I'd like to stick up for PaulS here. And that's despite the fact that he picks up my errors as well.

PaulS works very hard here - he answers many many questions, quite a few of which I look at and think "gosh this person hasn't tried very hard to help themselves". But usually PaulS answers with a hint or prod in the right direction.

After answering all these questions, every day, something really ridiculous like "can I run Minecraft?" probably blows a bit of a fuse. You may as well ask "can I run World of Warcraft?".

Google is your friend - everyone's friend (apart from privacy issues but that's another story). If you Google:

"minecraft server" +arduino

You get:

No results found for "minecraft server" +arduino.

So clearly the idea is a little unlikely to run. Plus a bit of research into how much RAM and disk a Minecraft server takes, compared to what the Arduino has, would help answer this for yourself.

It would be different if you were trying something like a "line follower robot", found heaps of hits on Google, but were having a bit of trouble getting it to work. And if you posted your circuit, and your code. Then you would expect a courteous and helpful response. And I expect PaulS would give you one.

If you searched for "lulzsec cooperating with government agencies" a few weeks ago it wouldn't output any valuable results.. but that doesn't mean someone wasn't doing it.

Not today though.

About 876,000 results (0.43 seconds)

However:

No results found for "minecraft server" +arduino.

STILL no-one has made that Minecraft server. Ah well, it's just a matter of time, yes?

Hi Nick. I will get to that Minecraft server as soon as I get Windows 7 to install on my Mega2560. Does anyone have the code for that? LOL :smiley:

Don't be ironic, you got my point. :slight_smile:

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Awesome! :slight_smile:

I find it a bit sad when posters here discourage people from exploring their ideas, which would provide a great learning experience and potentially amazing projects on an Arduino. Your project shows true hacking spirit.

That is awesome!! How many users can connect at the same time?