Has anybody seen these nice "doughnuts" for easy soldering?

I like the Velleman ECS1/2 "island of holes" boards for prototyping.
High quality, evenly spaced hole with good pads.
Board is the same 80x100mm that free version of eagle supports too, so if the prototype fits, am pretty sure an eagle created version will fit.

ECS1-H for bigger projects, 100x160mm.

I don't do much point to point soldering tho, preferring wirewrap/sockets for everything. Way easier to fix mistakes or to implement design changes.

I don't do much point to point soldering tho, preferring wirewrap/sockets for everything.

I used to wirewrap everything too; I had access to IBM proto boards with plated through holes and voltage and ground planes. I wonder what the response would be if I included some wirewrap sockets and pins, and wire in my Prototyping offerings.

How many people feel wirewrap [(c)Gardner-Denver] is something they now use or might use??

Anyone know of a good low-cost stripper and wrap tool??

Oh, and an UNwrap tool. Unless you're a lot better than me...

I do a lot with the Vero wire system, I have been using it for years and as long as you don't use it for power distribution it is fine.

I also have a supply of funnelets which are small tapered hollow tubes that you can use to effectively make a plated through hole for use on a home made double sided PCB. I have had them for many years and I don't know if they sell them any more. I can remember they were horrendously expensive but I needed them to mound an IC on the wrong side of the board after a layout error.

@CrossRoads, @terryking228

What tools and parts would I have to buy in order to get me started in wire wrapping/unwrapping? Price is non relevant.

Is Kynar AWG30 wire adequate for that?

My preferred wirewrap tool is the Oki Tools WSU-30

http://www.jonard.com/jonard-ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=HAND_WRAP_TOOLS_1/~product_id=10021
Wraps, unwraps, and has a stripper built in to the middle.

Wirewrap sockets from your supplier of choice
One example
http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product_name=HWS4470/category=SOCKETS+WIRE+WRAP+DIP+%2526+SIP/exact_match=exact

Layout the sockets, solder down the sockets, each end of a strip and maybe one pin in the middle, and wrap away.

I believe everyone here that has looked into it as a new assembly method has liked it.

@CrossRoads

Thank you, that's great! :slight_smile:

I thought I would've had to buy more things. These wirewrap tools you prefer are very affordable, considering the benefits of the ww system. I found them right there on the Phoenix pages you suggested. And they have the Regular (WSU-30) and the Modified (WSU-30M) versions. Do you know what the difference is?

I've read about how strong can a 7 turn wirewrap connection on square pins be. You actually get 28 airtight contact poins if you do it right. Connections to last. I remember the vintage super computers of my time were even built with lots of wire wrapping, and the same applied for phone companies networks. Am I correct?

Okay, dokay, I will work on redesigning my model railroad projects, in order to include wire wrapping.

Thanx again!

+1 wirewrap, its really much less tedious than soldering a pile of connections with loose wire

I just use a 6$ radioshack tool, but its great for 6 bucks ... you got to get a feel for the cheap tool or it will snap wires like crazy, but once you do its like twisting a jewelers screwdriver and you can go at it pretty fast.

it unwraps as well, considering its cheap radio shat stuff its pretty darn good for a trip to the mall

they sell the wire too, but not the sockets, though in a pinch some square pin male headers work well enough

Thank you for the +1, your @ssh0leiness, :slight_smile:

I concur. Wire wrapping must be the future. ]:smiley:

your @ssh0leiness

hehe, it fits the picture, was given to me by a sparkfun shrill, and its mostly true as well ]:smiley:

Though I admit I went on that radio shack advertisement misreading your location, I thought it was N(ew) Mexico at a glance ... I dont even know if radio shack is a thing in real Mexico (only been a few times and could not care any less about radio shack while there lol)

Sorry Osgeld, just kiddin' , perdón, I apologize but I always like to joke with friends :slight_smile:

Have you really been to MonteRRey (not CA but South of the border, down Mexico way). Monterrey as in "Old Blue Eyes" Frankie, "It happened in Monterrey, a long time ago".

And yes, there's a local Radio Shack. And you know what, ... it stinks. Instead I would recommend many other nicer places to enjoy yourself and of course offer you our hospitality.

See Osgeld, most of the guys did not like the solder rings I found, while searching for another part, but then again, who cares, as a by product of this thread and CrossRoads' suggestions, we are rediscovering WIRE WRAPPING as an excellent, and maybe a bit forgotten, tool.

BTW: If anybody noticed a great advantage on of the solder rings, is that they completely free one of your hands when soldering.

¡Salud, Osgeld, I invite you to a cold beer or a single malt whenever you come down here! XD

PS: I'm also a mathematician so, does Osgeld really == @assh0le?. Somehow I don't think so !!! :slight_smile:
PPS: Oh shoot, just kiddin' again. ¡Gracias y bienvenido! ]:smiley:

OK, YourDuino.com is looking for low-cost WireWrap tools, wire etc. I have a lot of WW sockets and I need to ship them TO China.. I will have them in our "ProtoTyping" section..

Anyone who has never seen this:

A couple of photos:

I have wirewrapped, um, yes - thousands of wires. Most of them > 20 years ago.

A free wirewrap tool and some wire and a few sockets to the first person who tells us what this means:

"Dog Three is VCC and Dog Eight is Ground"

@bibre,
I have WSU-30M apparantly. Looks just like the one in the picture above.
The M means modified. Have to read the Oki tools description, somehow it lets the wires wrap a little differently to start.
The long end wraps, the the short end unwraps.

@Terry,
Pin D3 is connected to Vcc, Pin D8 is connected to ground.
D being the 4th strip, 3rd & 8th holes.

I'd like boards that have the same layout as the solderless breadboards, so we can transfer right over.

You can obtain boards with the same layout. For example,
PROTO777
http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml#PROTO777
looks like two solderless breadboards next to each other.

Definitely get a "modified wrap" tool. It puts a turn or so of insulated wire around the post as well as the N turns of bare wire, which makes for significantly more physically robust boards, when you're all done (especially since the "edge" of the insulated part may be a physical weak point in the wired, if your stripping of insulation wasn't perfect...)

I remember when the OKI tool was about $10. $30 is ridiculous :frowning:

I used to wirewrap. Doing passive components is annoying. SMT anything is nearly impossible. Nowdays, you can get a PCB made for the price of the sockets and adapters and such for a moderate sized project.

On the plus side, a WW socket strip on something like an Arduino Bare Bones Board gives you both 'plug into a protoboard' on the bottom and "plug in wires" on the top...

one thing I do is wrap directly to leads, and then follow up with solder so it will actually hold. soldering ribbon cable just got a ton easier (most of it is the right size to fit in the tools) without expensive crimpers, and dead bugs are stupid easy

its still a ton easier and quicker than trying to manually hold the component, wire and solder it since the wire is already wrapped around the leads

(yea thats cellophane tape on cardboard, totally ESD safe)

Interesting Osgeld!

Just curiosity, but what do you do with that circuit on the cardboard?

its a 6x9 inch 7 segment display made out of hot melt glue sticks

PS: and yes I have been to Monterrey, but it was like 20 years ago when I was 10 or so heh

Clever and CREATIVE ! 8)

Well, looking forward to meeting you if you come back here, but please ... don't bring your 7 segment digit because it'll melt at 42 ºC in the shade, he, he. :smiley: