A rare customer indeed, bargaining on a quote !

I gave a quote to a customer this morning, for a silly little project a high school student ( 20 years ago ) could have done , and I got this reply from him :-

Really, whoa that is very low. Maybe we can jack that up a bit. Let me do some math and get some sensors

I want to have this guy stuffed and mounted above the fireplace , Let me rephrase that - I will print out his reply and put it up on the office wall. !

If he wants to jack up the prices then source the components from me, I'll add whatever overheads above the basic price you like. LOL

for a silly little project

Better hope he's not a member here and sees your disparaging remarks nĂȘ Boffin?

Funny time of year for that.... a few weeks ago with financial year-end looming I could understand someone wanting to spend budget or else get cuts in the new fy.

Our financial year starts on July 1, at least in my part of USA. That means hurry up to spend down budget before the spring semester ends.

liudr:
Our financial year starts on July 1, at least in my part of USA. That means hurry up to spend down budget before the spring semester ends.

Our financial year begins April 1st so now is when all the road repair projects start, to ensure the budget is fully spent. 4 lots of roadworks have sprung up in the last week for my journey to work.

Boffin1:
I gave a quote to a customer this morning, for a silly little project a high school student ( 20 years ago ) could have done , and I got this reply from him :-

Really, whoa that is very low. Maybe we can jack that up a bit. Let me do some math and get some sensors

I want to have this guy stuffed and mounted above the fireplace , Let me rephrase that - I will print out his reply and put it up on the office wall. !

LOL
One thing is for sure you can bank of the fact that the funds are not coming from his own pocket book. Most likely indirectly tax payers are paying for his project. :wink:

Lefty

must work for the government.

Riva:

liudr:

Our financial year begins April 1st so now is when all the road repair projects start, to ensure the budget is fully spent. 4 lots of roadworks have sprung up in the last week for my journey to work.

We have to wait on the weather here for major work. But the minor patching has started already.

GoForSmoke:

Riva:

liudr:

We have to wait on the weather here for major work. But the minor patching has started already.

Its always the spring and fall for us. Who cares about students? Gotta make sure we don't inconvenience the tourists. Its funny watching them rapidly speed up after the first cold-snap though. 4 months to paint the first bridge, then the next 8 bridges are finished in 2 weeks.

Whoever came up with the "spend it or lose it" system should be made an example of in the town square. So much wasted spending. We have an athletic department buying new everything because they need to spend it or they wont have enough next year, meanwhile our classrooms still have 10 year old textbooks because they can't obtain the funds needed for new ones. Last year our town manager took excess funds from one of these wasteful accounts at the end of the year, and used it to pay off our debt. The rest of the council wanted to crucify him, the taxpayers told them to go pound sand.

We get major road work when the chemicals in the concrete/etc can set right and some politicians aren't blocking the work to make others "be seen to fail". Every time the economy starts to move, prices jerk up and a few 1000 more people get "downsized". Less than a month later the same jobs open up at half the pay and another retirement fund vanishes. Federal taxes go down, state taxes go up. I'm told it must be Obama's fault though our state governor is right-wing.