Go Down

Topic: Is my methodology sound (Read 255 times) previous topic - next topic

mrbilky

Just curious as I'm new to this is it sound that I compile and create a stable sketch incrementally, what I mean is I am working on my sensors first then some valves that will actuate by said sensors values then was going to tackle having the output of said sensors displayed in some way on a 2x16 or a 4x20 or other display? I'm in no hurry this is a project I hope to have stable by Spring :)  Oh and by the way nothing fancy just an automated plant watering/feeding setup

aarg

Nov 14, 2017, 11:27 pm Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 11:33 pm by aarg
Yes, it makes good sense to develop incrementally. However you have to make early efforts to clear the path for future integration. Otherwise you will have a collection of stand alone code segments that are hard to stitch together. The classic approach is to encapsulate things in functions as much as possible. If you can develop classes, even better. The idea is to allow hiding of a lot of internal detail by providing well defined interfaces. Then there is much less chance of different elements of the program "walking on each other".
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

Delta_G

Usually if I am developing something new you'll find a folder on my computer with about a hundred little mini-sketches in it.  Everything gets tested all by itself and then it maybe even gets tested again with just one or two other things added in and then finally there is the big file where it is all coming together.  That's the only code anyone ever sees.  But there are literally hundreds of other codes sometimes where I was testing this or that. 

I think that's the biggest lesson that many n00bs miss.  They'll just dive in and try to code it all at once in one big file.  Or maybe they'll get the first thing working and then try to add the next thing right to that code.  And that leads to frustration. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

Robin2

I agree 200% with @Delta_G. I obsess about testing things separately and learning things with the simplest possible program.

Maybe have a look at Planning and Implementing a Program

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

mrbilky

Well thanks for the confidence that at least I'm grasping this early on it's been fun and frustrating but then that's how it goes I learned to just walk away for a bit and get my senses and it helps!

Maybe have a look at Planning and Implementing a Program

...R

Thank you I will read up on it when I get some time! I did also buy an E-Book that goes incremental as well and has been useful already.

Southpark

Nov 15, 2017, 01:43 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 01:47 am by Southpark
Just curious as I'm new to this is it sound that I compile and create a stable sketch incrementally, what I mean is I am working on my sensors first then some valves that will actuate by said sensors values then was going to tackle having the output of said sensors displayed in some way on a 2x16 or a 4x20 or other display? I'm in no hurry this is a project I hope to have stable by Spring :)  Oh and by the way nothing fancy just an automated plant watering/feeding setup
Methodology does not mean 'your method'. Methodology is the study and assessment/analysis and scrutinization of methods that could (or might be) potentially be useful or relevant to your own project, and which you could employ/use in your project.

Methodology --- study of methods.

Delta_G

From Merriam-Webster:

Methodology - 1 :a body of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline :a particular procedure or set of procedures demonstrating library research methodology
the issue is massive revision of teaching methodology --Bob Samples
2 :the analysis of the principles or procedures of inquiry in a particular field

Southpark

Nov 15, 2017, 01:51 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 01:53 am by Southpark
From Merriam-Webster:

Methodology - 1 :a body of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline :a particular procedure or set of procedures demonstrating library research methodology
Apparently merriam-webster don't know what they are talking about. They're wrong if they reckon that 'methodology' can mean a particular procedure or a particular method.

Delta_G

Apparently merriam-webster don't know what they are talking about. They're wrong if they reckon that 'methodology' can mean a particular procedure or a particular method.
OK, we will take you as the new authority on the English language then. 

Delta_G

Dictionary.com
noun, plural methodologies.
a set or system of methods, principles, and rules for regulating a given discipline, as in the arts or sciences.
Philosophy.
the underlying principles and rules of organization of a philosophical system or inquiry procedure.
the study of the principles underlying the organization of the various sciences and the conduct of scientific inquiry.
Education. a branch of pedagogics dealing with analysis and evaluation of subjects to be taught and of the methods of teaching them.
Oxford English:
A system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity.
'a methodology for investigating the concept of focal points'
mass noun 'courses in research methodology and practice'
Cambridge:
a set of methods used in a particular area of study or activity:
The two researchers are using different methodologies.
methodological
Macmillan
the methods and principles used for doing a particular kind of work, especially scientific or academic research
Got any sources?  Or are you basing your definition on the deconstruction of the root and suffix of the word?

PlankSpank

I like to use functions to put code into compartments, but have yet to get deeper into classes and such.

I used to code in assembly and machine back in my Unix days for simple diagnostic routines, but getting into the arduino has been a great and rewarding experience. 

The open source and willingness of the community to help solve issues has helped me level up several times over.

I have also tried to adopt a coding standard, based on Michael Barr's Embedded C Coding Standard. Other recommended suggestions to learning coding are read books on coding and probably the most helpful, read other people's code!

Oh, and leave yourself and others a breadcrumb trail, comment your code!

Southpark

Nov 15, 2017, 02:26 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 07:40 am by Southpark
Dictionary.com

Oxford English:

Cambridge:
Macmillan

Got any sources?  Or are you basing your definition on the deconstruction of the root and suffix of the word?
Yes (ie. at least some of those ones that you provided). And....for your second lead-on question....not at all. The correct definition is pretty much like what they discuss on the wikipedia page. Sure, you can't trust everything on wiki....but this particular definition --- you can.

Almost laughable about this one here "The two researchers are using different methodologies."

You'd think that normal people would just say "The two researchers are using different methods."

Also.... this one: "a methodology for investigating the concept of focal points". A normal person would say "a method for investigating the concept of focal points".

Whoever wrote "a methodology for investigating the concept of focal points" was using the wrong word.

Delta_G

I have also tried to adopt a coding standard,
Yes, and format your code.  Learn to do that by default early on.  You'll be surprised at how many logic errors I'm able to spot in code posted on this forum just by hitting control-T and suddenly that block you thought was part of the while statement turns out to be completely separate.  We don't just format the way we do because it's pretty.  It really does help you see what's where. 

Robin2

Programming in Python requires the use of code formatting and makes the habit very easy to bring across to Arduino code.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dave-in-nj

Guys, I find your methodology of posts dictionary definitions about methodology refreshing.  

A bit off topic, but words are defined by either the genius who invents the thing and picks the name, or by the most ignorant persons possible.

if someone cannot understand a thing and either messes up the pronunciation or just makes a new term out of thin air because they do not understand the true definition, that person keeps that to themselves. if they use it and it becomes popular, it gets entered in the dictionary.

Lastly, the move today is to re-define everything in order to control the future.
Many words you older folks think about are being re-defined to mean new things that, in many cases are opposite your definitions.  

This may be way too deep thought for this forum because it is so way off topic.
sorry, but as I age, I watch and this is one of the things that fits in with death and taxes as fundamental to our civilization today. 

Go Up