Go Down

Topic: simple IR pulse on a schedule (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic

PyroGuy99

Hello Forum...

I am new at this and have just started my first real project and something else came up that I need to figure out!  Paying $800 for a full IR remote control system is NOT an option.

Simply put, I need to be able to send and IR Pulse at a specific time of day.  Twice a day.  Basically, I need to turn on a TV via IR when the store opens and then turn it off when the store closes.

Can an Arduino do this?  Is there a built in "clock" that runs real time?

HELP!

Delta_G

Is there a built in "clock" that runs real time?

The Arduino can keep up with the number of milliseconds since it was last reset.  And the Time library can use that to keep track of time.  But it isn't terribly accurate and you lose the time anytime the board loses power or gets reset. 

For what you want to do, you really need an RTC.   
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

wvmarle

If that's all your Arduino has to do, what's wrong with a simple timer clock at the power socket?
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

CrossRoads

Powering it on won't make it turn on and display anything most likely. My Samsung only goes into receive IR command mode for example when unplugged and plugged back in.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Mdmassey

There are a couple of ways to do this.  First get a RTC (real time clock) module and have the arduino read from it to determine the time and to see if it needs to perform a function.  This works OK but most of the RTCs out there are not super accurate and will lose several seconds a day.  But...

You can also use the internet or a combination of the internet and a RTC.  The Arduino has ethernet boards that can connect to a router, which can supply the arduino with accurate time, or it can update the RTC every couple of days.  I dont remember where the code for this is but I found a clock project (LCD or VFD clock projects) that had the code for both internet time (with Ethernet or WiFi) and updating a RTC.  Hope this helps in your search.

Delta_G

This works OK but most of the RTCs out there are not super accurate and will lose several seconds a day. 
I wouldn't say that they are all inaccurate.  There are several that are good to just a few ppm.  The DS3231 comes to mind.  It's the time library without any RTC that loses several seconds a day. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

Go Up