Communications problem between Uno and computer

I know this is getting pretty old by now with people asking why their Arduinos are not communicating correctly with their computers via USB ports.

Anyways, I can't find a solution to my problem via Google or the troubleshooting guide (Unless I am not looking correctly through the guide, will keep reading through though). My problem is the IDE sees COM1 and it is selected. I opened up my device manager (using windows 7 64-bit) and installed all the correct drivers, or at least I think I did, also the strange thing is my computer, when the Uno is connected, does not show "Arduino UNO (COMxx)" but instead it just shows "Communications Port" under the "(COM & LPT)" selection. I also have a ton of USB ports, at least 10, so I tried plugging my Arduino in each one and nothing happens. The error I get in the IDE is "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00".

Does anyone have any ideas?

Update - I just found out that in my device manager under "other devices" my arduino is identified as "Unknown Device". When I unplug it, it goes away. When I plug it back up it comes up as "Unknown Device".

Right click the Unknown Device in Device Manager
Select Update Driver Software
Select Browse my computer for software
Click Browse button
Select the Drivers folder under the location of your Arduino software installation. (Do not select the FTDI folder inside the Drivers folder)
Click OK
Click Next

Awesome, thanks! however there is a problem. It worked for a bit but then the IDE keeps saying the same error again. How come its not longer seeing the board?