5x5x5 LED cube help

I bought a bunch of LEDs for several projects, and I got clear ones because I figured that I could make them diffused if I wanted, but I couldnt make diffused clear if thats what i needed.

I have a set of 64 LEDs Im using for a wearable project, and I decided i would try diffusing them with sandpaper. I started with 400 grit, and twisting the LED in it. It took about 5 minutes to get it lightly diffused, I didnt want to spend 5 hours sanding my 64 LEDs, so I tried using the dremel with a sanding drum (about 60 grit or so), and they only took about a minute to do each, they look very opaque, but they are a bit misshaped, and rough. I havent used them yet, and as such, i cant say what way has the best results.

I may try the drill technique, that may just work.

i got 75 spare LEDs so i can experiment with different diffusing techniques. hopefully i figure out something that is both fast and yields good results.

There maybe a quick easy way to use chemically diffuse them (dip in acetone, something) I also considered flat based transparent lacquer, but I just dont think it will diffuse much. I should probably experiment more.

Hippynerd:
It took about 5 minutes to get it lightly diffused

Maybe you're using the wrong sandpaper. I can do then in about 30 seconds each.

Another way is to add a thin coat of hot glue, although it's harder to get them evenly diffused that way. It's good for weird shapes like "candle flames" though.

I haven't tried it myself but people also paint them with nail polish.

Hippynerd:
There maybe a quick easy way to use chemically diffuse them (dip in acetone, something) I also considered flat based transparent lacquer, but I just dont think it will diffuse much. I should probably experiment more.

Hairspray?

It is just some kind of plastic, yes?
I don't see anything about it here as an example source

i have some 10,000mcd blue LEDs that are probably identical to the ones i bought. i only have about five left because i have used the others. but when i get a chance i will experiment with different ways of diffusing them. i will try to mess with them today, but i cannot guarantee that i will be able to,

i tried leaving a LED in finger nail polish remover (acetone) all last night and it did not do anything. the LED is the same as it was when i put it in. i guess sanding it is the only option i have left. anyone else have any ideas for diffusing the LEDs?

How about covering them with a frosted finger nail polish?
If it looks good, have your wife/girlfriend/teeanaged daugther help - probably be way quicker than a guy could do it 8)
Set up a piece of perfboard to drop painted LEDs onto for drying.

I tried acetone (like for painting, or cleaning), and i tried some brush cleaner (it has more aggressive solvents like MEK), I just dipped them, and let them dry, and they had no effect (not even dulling the surface).

I may have some clearcoat with sparkly stuff in it (it seemed really cool, but it turned out horrible when I used it) I may try it on one, if I can find it.

Sandblasting would probably work really well, but Ive never used one, so I can only assume.

brake fluid, plastic glue, brake cleaner dont seem to effect the plastic either. I seem to be out of paint stripper.

Hippynerd:
brake fluid, plastic glue, brake cleaner dont seem to effect the plastic either. I seem to be out of paint stripper.

Try soaking them in Coke, that is suppose to dissolve meat overnight. :smiley:

Lefty

So far, the only thing I can get to stick to the LEDs is model paint, and i dipped the whole LED in the paint.

Ive been searching the web, and I've found that someone had some results with thinning liquid paper with acetone, and painting the LEDs with it.

Im also considering plastic glue or clear paint, and tissue paper, or white powder (like flour or corn starch).

I've been re-thinking the RGB 5x5x5 cube, and it seems that if I change that to 4x4x4 then I need 12 and 8, or 20 total control lines. If I arrange it so that the common lead goes toward the back, and the RGB leads go down, I think it will be a stable structure, but maybe a bit ugly on the backside.
Its so freaking weird, that im seriously considering building it.

haha. ok, this is a completely random idea...but what if instead of trying to add paint and things to the cube, we took a heat gun and melted the LED a little bit. not a lot, but maybe just a little. that will either work well, do absolutely nothing, or make it uneven and look terrible. but it may work.

Dang. What are they covered in? I thought it was just plastic. Maybe not?

So far, searching the internet has lead me to "plastic" and "epoxy resin", which is a bit too general.

My guess is that heat will pop the LEDs before diffusing, but its worth a try.

It also seem that I've messed up LEDs by getting super glue on them (the fumes can diffuse the plastic).

suicidalacorn:
haha. ok, this is a completely random idea...but what if instead of trying to add paint and things to the cube, we took a heat gun and melted the LED a little bit. not a lot, but maybe just a little. that will either work well, do absolutely nothing, or make it uneven and look terrible. but it may work.

It may deform them but it won't roughen the surface...

Superglue and toilet paper actually works pretty well, the hard part is getting an even coating of glue, and paper. Superglue and cornstarch also worked well, but is also dependant on an even coating of glue.

I tried putting the LED in a drill, and used a file, it worked pretty good, only took about a minute, but leaves circular scratch marks in the LED. The hard part was getting concentric in the chuck. (a 4 jaw chuck would be a lot better than 3 jaws)

I tried using a lighter to melt the plastic, and it did sort of smoke it a little bit, but I dont want to get it hot enough to melt, its just too messy and stinky. but if you could get the surface to liquify, then roll it on a cloth, you might be able to unsmooth the surface.

Im also wondering if just diffusing the tip would be good enough?

Hippynerd:
Im also wondering if just diffusing the tip would be good enough?

it probably would be. all (at least most) of the light is going out through the tip. even if that was just diffused with sandpaper or a file, it might just be enough.