Go Down

Topic: Many components connected at once (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Vikingolav

Hey, I'm new to the arduino and want to know if my setup is possible before buying everything.
I want to connect 3 servos, 1-3 LEDs and one display. All of the components should be controlled separtly.
Can i connect all of these without an extra shield?
Do I need an extra power supply or is an 9v battery connected directly to the arduino uno r3 enough?
Also it would be nice if someone could recommend a small display which is easy to use.

Thanks

KeithRB

A 9 V battery is not enough. Servos need MORE POWER.

The best way to save pins is to use a serial enabled display like this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10097

Vikingolav

Ok thanks. How mutch more power do you recommend for this setup? And with your suggested display I would have eough slots on the arduino uno ?

DVDdoug

The Arduino has 14 digital I/O pins.  (I don't remember if the 6 analog-input pins can be programmed for general purpose I/O.)   

A parallel LCD is typically going to require 11 lines.  A serial LCD can require as little as one I/O line.

Each LED & each servo will also require one I/O line.   

Don't forget any "input" signals, buttons, or controls.

DVDdoug

Ok thanks. How mutch more power do you recommend for this setup?
Check the voltage & current requirements for the servos.  The voltage is "shared" by the servos, but the current adds-up. 

KeithRB

I don't know what servos you have.

Vikingolav

Thanks, this is enough information to find out the rest by my self!

Robin2

Make sure that your servos do NOT draw their power from the Arduino board.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

CrossRoads

@DVDdoug
The Arduino has 14 digital I/O pins.  (I don't remember if the 6 analog-input pins can be programmed for general purpose I/O.)   
I think you've been around here long enough to know they can be. Access them as A0 to A5, or D13 to D19.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up