500 gallon Propane tank level indication using hall effect

I'd like to use a hall effect sensor on my 500 gallon home propane tank on the level guage that is allready sensor ready, though I'm not sure if the hall effect sensor will be able to mount to the guage or even sense the full and empty conditions. Need a little testing.

I'd like to send this sensor reading to an LCD to display the level inside my toasty warm home, instead of walking through 6 feet of snow in the icy chill of Wisconsin winter.

Anyone see this yet, or have any ideas? Just starting the project, waiting on a sensor...

the level guage that is allready sensor ready

How is the gauge already sensor ready? Does it have sensor(s) built in that can be interfaced to MCU or maybe options to connect external sensors?

Probably something like this...........

http://wirelessmonitoring.centeron.net/propane/monitors_gauge.html

Although they don't tell you too much for obvious reasons.

f16bmathis,

Any luck with this yet?

I just got a propane tank a month a go with "sensor ready" tag on it. It's really cold in PA this year so it would be nice to check the tank from inside. I bet I could also do some math and guess at daily consumption.

MLR

bluejets:
Probably something like this...........

Schneider Electric | Wireless Tank Level Monitoring Solutions

Although they don't tell you too much for obvious reasons.

There are several patents associated with this wireless product. You might want to explore them. The first patent is for a spread-spectrum transmit and receive scheme. Didn't look at the others.

Paul

f16bmathis:
I'd like to use a hall effect sensor on my 500 gallon home propane tank on the level guage that is allready sensor ready, though I'm not sure if the hall effect sensor will be able to mount to the guage or even sense the full and empty conditions. Need a little testing.

I'd like to send this sensor reading to an LCD to display the level inside my toasty warm home, instead of walking through 6 feet of snow in the icy chill of Wisconsin winter.

Anyone see this yet, or have any ideas? Just starting the project, waiting on a sensor...

How is your project going? The discussion of Fig. 7 in the following link may be helpful.