Why are resistors so often supplied on "strips" instead of bulk?

I did an order with Digikey for some bulk resistors, 250 each, of some common values I have been using a lot of. 3 were supplied in a baggie in bulk which I like, one on strips which I cut down and then pulled all the resistors out of. I am not sure why they provide resistors on strips so often. What is the advantage? Can those be applied automatically by equipment or something like that? I think it is just totally inconvenient and usually I bend them a little removing them.

Parts placed in Strips are packaged that way for automatic part insertion machines. Back in the Day... You could buy strips of Misc parts for pennies a pound. Parts for a complete design put in order so they could be Cut and Formed prior to insertion... They're kind of line Machine guns of the 50's and 60's where the ammunition was fed to the "Gun" on a belt like the tape used to hold those parts together.

Doc

yes when you buy resistors in any serious amount they come on tape rolled on a 10 inch or so reel (for though hole, theres different sizes for smd), its much easier to count out the tape and cut it off for small orders than manually removing each individual resistor from the tape.

The entire point in having them in that manner is for automated placement machines

I personally dont remove them from the tape until I am ready to use them, and pulling them out just leaves you with leads gunked up with adhesive and bent, cut them at the tape, just like the machines do

Osgeld:
yes when you buy resistors in any serious amount they come on tape rolled on a 10 inch or so reel (for though hole, theres different sizes for smd), its much easier to count out the tape and cut it off for small orders than manually removing each individual resistor from the tape.

The entire point in having them in that manner is for automated placement machines

I personally dont remove them from the tape until I am ready to use them, and pulling them out just leaves you with leads gunked up with adhesive and bent, cut them at the tape, just like the machines do

That is a good point, I will do that next time. Thank you. I will say on this last order of 4 types of resistors, 3 came in baggies, there were 200 or 250 each, depending on the price break numbers, so for some resistors, they do come in baggies. These were 1% metal film resistors.

The three that came in baggies were from Yageo and Digikey identifies packaging as bulk. The one on tape was from Stackpole Electronics Inc and Digikey identifies packaging as "cut tape" so I now know how to order to get it in baggies since that is how I like it. I did not even notice that before.

Keep in mind that Digi-Key's (and all major distributors) primary customers are using machines. So don't be upset when they gear their products toward them.

Totally not upset, just wondering. Everyone so far has provided me with resistors on cut tape so I was actually quote happy to get 3 out of 4 in baggies from them the last time, but it made me wonder about it. Actually I am quite happy with them now that I have finally noticed that in the huge amount of data they provide, they list the packaging. I can use that information next time. I love Digikey. Jameco and Digikey have both been very good to me and have great shipping rates. If it fits in an envelope I usually get it sent for around four bucks and that is great. USPS gets it to me in 2 days from California or Minnesota, either way.