What's this # crap in my arduino.cc urls?

I'm pretty sure this is new, and doesn't seem to happen on other sites, but when I follow a link to anywhere on the site I get some arbitrary junk after a # at the end of the url I've linked to.

For instance, when I hover over the link to setup() on the reference page, it shows bottom left of my screen that I'm destined for

setup() - Arduino Reference

When I get there, the url box thing displays that for a moment and then changes to (as an example):

If I do it a few times, that # thing is different, and I got these over the course of a few minutes:

Anyone know what this is all about and if it's cause for concern? I'm certain it's new, since I often go to pages and copy paste their urls into my replies here and have never seen that before.

Jim

As i expected, wikipedia confirms.
It is a fragment identifier, and should scroll to a section of the page linked to, instead of going to the top of that page.
I have no idea how to invoke this or how to prevent it.
So i can't have your browser go to that part of the wikipedia site and you'll have to scroll down a bit.

MAS3:
As i expected, wikipedia confirms.
It is a fragment identifier, and should scroll to a section of the page linked to, instead of going to the top of that page.
I have no idea how to invoke this or how to prevent it.
So i can't have your browser go to that part of the wikipedia site and you'll have to scroll down a bit.

That was my first thought, but it's different every time I link to the same page, so nope, I don't think that's what it is. And a fragment identifier appears in the mouse-over url in the bottom of the screen; this doesn't.

Now it's:

..... and actually changes if I just stay on that page and hit refresh.

That is strange, if the tag was for an anchor, it would not change unless the anchor is dynamically generated each load. I doubt however that Arduino is trying to prevent hot linking.

Any way if it changes there may be some system on your side doing it (tracking software).

Try another browser and/or try the safe-zone or incognito modes as they start a new session, and do not access cookies from the standard browser.

Thanks for those suggestions: but I just tried Firefox and incognito in Chrome, still get the same thing.

When there's another machine vacant in the house I'll try there....

Well, it is showing up here too and despite the fact that Firefox is faltering (on most of my machines nowadays) I doubt that it is a client side problem. (I think Firefox is having memory issues again - it was supposed to be fixed some versions ago.)

Checking the page source finds no such anchor, so it would appear to be some sort of "tracking" on the server side - since the anchor does not exist, the page renders at the top anyway and you are not supposed to notice it. The default setting for some browsers (mobile/ tablet in particular) does not even show URLs.

This probably explains for example, a page refresh returning to the top of the page.

Frankly, there are just so many bogus things about this "forum" server software that you just become immured to it, obviously those maintaining it have made the (extremely poor) decision to use a crap piece of software and just have to stick to it as it would be just so tedious to "port" it to a proper system.

And all this not to mention the dread "token" foul-up which mostly irritates people but occasionally takes the system completely down.

Paul__B:
Well, it is showing up here too

Yay.... and I mean that in a not-vindictive way 8), it's just nice to know it's not something wrong my side.

Paul__B:
Frankly, there are just so many bogus things about this "forum" server software that you just become immured to it, obviously those maintaining it have made the (extremely poor) decision to use a crap piece of software and just have to stick to it as it would be just so tedious to "port" it to a proper system.

I regularly use the N Gauge Forum which also uses SMF. It works properly.

...R

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
It's just a session tracker - nothing to be worried about.

Coming from a guy named spycatcher? I am worried.

(deleted)

Wouldn't it be lovely if we got an explanation from one of the website developers - someone who actually knows the answer.

...R

it's a reminder to use CODE tags.
:expressionless:

and that's just crap.

seriously, i wouldn't worry about it either, if you need to link the URL, just drop the #.XXXXXXX part.
i'm pretty happy with how this forum works, granted i haven't used that many different types of forums, vBulletin mostly - but i like the clean design, good selection of buttons to make your posts - quick Menu jumps, everything that's necessary to navigate really. (oh, i certainly appreciate the NO pictorial sigs !)