Synthesizer with Arduino

Hi!

I'm a student and I'd like to partecipate to a competition in my school with of my classmates.
Our idea was to realise a simple synth with Arduino, but I'm not an expert of Arduino so I have got some questions:

First, since we'll work with sound, is it better to use an Arduino Due with its DAC pins or not?
Then, I would like that the synth worked together with a computer, so I thought to create a program in Visual Basic, but how can I make the Arduino communicate with the PC?

I know these could be stupid questions, but I'm new in the argument...
Thank you very much!

, is it better to use an Arduino Due with its DAC pins or not?

Yes. Not only that but a Due has more memory and more speed both of which you need.

The arduino an PC can communicate through serial via the USB or through MIDI.

You can still do a lot with the 8-bit Arduino UNO, they are also a lot tougher if you make mistakes along the way -

All projects using 8-bit Arduino UNO and very few external components.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Grumpy_Mike:

, is it better to use an Arduino Due with its DAC pins or not?

Yes. Not only that but a Due has more memory and more speed both of which you need.

Ok, but the Arduino Due works with a 3.3V voltage, in your opinion could it become a problem?

DuaneB:
You can still do a lot with the 8-bit Arduino UNO, they are also a lot tougher if you make mistakes along the way -

RCArduino: Adding Audio to Arduino Projects
RCArduino: The Must Build Arduino Project - The Illutron B
RCArduino: Five Dollar Synthesiser (post in progress)

All projects using 8-bit Arduino UNO and very few external components.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

These projects are great, but the problem is that I have to combine them in a single project ( possibly ): our project should be a synthesiser with oscillator, filters, keyboard and effects.

marcopolver:
Ok, but the Arduino Due works with a 3.3V voltage, in your opinion could it become a problem?

No why should it?

but the problem is that I have to combine them in a single project

Why is that a problem?

I am not sure what you are asking for, do you want some one to have done it all for you and you just want to copy it?

This could get very complicated very quickly :slight_smile: Why not try starting off with a block diagram of all the elements in your system, and the audio/control signal flow between them, then flesh that out into schematics for each element, building and testing each one separately to see how things work.

If you want nice filters, you're probably going to have to actually build those rather than doing it in software. Maybe some of the more senior coders here with vastly more talent than I have will disagree, but I can't see that working out too well in software on an Uno.