new to arduino - how to keep track of signal?

I have arduino uno and am working on a project with it. I will be feeding an analog signal into it for processing and want to now whether there is any way to observe the signal as it is being processed. By this I mean to see it as an analog signal and not 0's and 1s' on digital monitor. How do I now that my program is doing what I need it to do to the signal? The input analog needs to be filtered, rectified, etc... How can I actually monitor that this is happening? I haven't found relevant info (aside from digital, but that is not very helpful)... Tnx for the help

I will be feeding an analog signal into it for processing and want to now whether there is any way to observe the signal as it is being processed. By this I mean to see it as an analog signal and not 0's and 1s' on digital monitor.

What is this "analog signal" you will be "feeding" the Arduino? The analog to digital converter on the Arduino is not the fastest device in the world.

What digital monitor are you talking about? My Arduinos do not have digital monitors.

How do I now that my program is doing what I need it to do to the signal?

That depends on what you need "it" to do with the signal.

i will try to clarify...

the signal is a biosignal - an amplified EMG. At the moment it is coming straight from an inst. amp. Its frequency is very low so Arduino's limitations in terms of sampling etc. should not be a problem.

the digital monitor that I meant was just the fact that you can monitor what is happening with the signal output on serial monitor. Here I am referring to some of the analog tutorials.

The signal will be processed to extract certain features, lets say I implement a low pass filter (that's my start anyway) to smooth out my input, how can I view the result?

I hope this helps, I am at the very start of this :wink:

The adc converts your 0-5v signal into a digital number 0-1024, so you just need to print out those value before you work, and as you work on them
you could directly serial.print the value or convert it back into a representation of the voltage for example when the input is 3 v your analog reading will be ~614 which you can turn back into voltage by dividing by 208.8
now that's just a digital number representing the voltage, and unfortunately some exactness is lost because its not exactly 614, limited by the resolution of the adc(4mv)
if you do the math ( 614*208.8= 2.96v) you can see how you may be off by a step

Than you for reply. This is what I thought, but I hoped there might be a more direct way

You could use an oscilloscope.

sorvigolova:
By this I mean to see it as an analog signal and not 0's and 1s' on digital monitor.

What do you mean by 'see it as an analog signal'? Come to that, what do you mean by '0s and 1s on a digital monitor'?

If you are talking about serial output, what you see there is a sequence of text (ascii) characters and you can print out anything you like there. If you want to print out the raw analog voltage and the numbers you derived from it, there's nothing stopping you.