2 motor underwater drone using 2 6v dc motors- help Please

i need some help designing a 2 motor underwater drone and i am using 2 dc motors for testing. i have various components especially for this project. i dont need you to do the work for me, just need some help from pros cause im new to this. Am i missing components? i want it to run on its own stand alone board and i want to turn the arduino into a Remote with a screen to see a camera that will be attached to the UWRCD.

Also links to Tutorials would be nice to. All im looking for is some good starter information.

the list is
2; 6-9v dc motors
3; TIP120 Transistor
1; MCP3008- 10 bit ADC with SPI (not sure how to use but thought i would need inputs)
1; photocell
1; 0.5w 6v solar panel
1; LED controller
3; cd110 16v 47uF capacitors
1; shield board
10+; LEDs
4; push pin
2, tiny switch
2; single digit 7 seg display
tons of resistors
2; 3.7v 1400mAh LIR18500 Lithium Ion Batteries Wired to Be charged
1;Plastic water Soleniod Valve 12v-1/2"

Do you want to be able to reverse the motors?

i want then to change direction, yes

Relay?
H-bridge?

I have seen those but I am not familiar
Half the tutorials are not helpful.

Read the other half then

Is it like building a new arduino?

Never mind the submarine parts for the moment.

Do you know how to write a sketch and connect up one motor so it can be controlled forwards and backwards with an Arduino?

If/when you can do that, move on to a pair of motors.

Take the project in small steps - just like professional programmers do.

...R

Thanks for the advice. C:

You might consider speed hacking an inexpensive servo for a drive motor. Below are previous ROV post in the forum.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=rov&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I can't figure out how solar panels and so on would work under water so you might need to divide your project up into more sensible parts and solve each part separately. Have you worked out how powerful the motors need to be? If not, I suggest you do that at an early stage since a lot of the following design will depend on it. For example, you might need to run some practical experiments using plain old wired manually controlled motors/impellers to see what works for the vehicle you're planning.

I'm still trying to figure out the motor issue. I'm new to arduino so I'm having more trouble than expected. I bought a motor shield from seeed and I'm not finding any tutorials. Not for 2 wire. So I been doing research and discovered 2 new motor types. Outrunner and inrunner. Saw some tips on water proofing but no actual knowledge on motors.

But the solar panels would work as an emergency power... I know how to manually charge batteries so no programming should be needed right away. perhaps I should show the sketch drawing I made for plans. Should be posted soon.

The terms outrunner and inrunner are usually used in the context of brushless motors to describe the arrangement of the coils and magnets. If you're going to use brushless motors then of course this has a fundamental impact on your choice of motor drivers. You need to sort out which motors you will be using and what voltage and current they need to be supplied with before you can decide what to use to drive them.

"Saw some tips on water proofing"
Maybe use 2 strong magnets for linkage.

You might try looking at what these college students did for propulsión.

True, It's a raft, but the motors look adaptable.

so i hit a brick wall, i have found a ton of tutorials on how to get a dc motor to run on a transistor, this is i set it up and it does not work. i used a led as the diode and suspect its probably the case but to make sure i came to the forum....(i spend alot of time here lately)

i am useing a TIP darlington transistor not sure if it matters much.

im making a radioshack run....what chips do i need?

Be sure to get 3 shambles and 2 wombles!

Seriously you can't expect advice on the basis of such a vague question.

You need to formulate a plan (based on some decent research and reading) and then post it here for advice. For what you want to do (driving motors) you need a diagram of how you plan to wire things together and the Arduino code that you propose to use to control the hardware.

...R

seanvll:
i am useing a TIP darlington transistor not sure if it matters much.

I have been playing around with using TIP120 for controlling a motor using PWM.

Here is the thread I put up and the layout I got working is at the bottom of the first page as a fritzing diagram.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=201786.0

My setup is arduino uno pin 11 to base pin of TIP120 with a 1k resistor as protection. Power goes from positive of battery to motor and through to the collector pin. There is a diode and capacitor in parallel with the motor to stop spikes and feedback from motor. The emmitter is connected to ground and the grounds of the battery and arduino are connected together.

We Have motion !!!! It's choppy with an led but it's a working circuit