Make:it Robotics Starter Kit problem

Noobie here...want to get into robotics so I purchased this kit from Radio Shack. Got the IDE installed OK, made the library, uploaded the code, all (eventually) without errors.

But the line-following robot doesn't move. I checked the power supply by jumping to the motors and it works fine. All the appropriate LEDs light up on it's own power, but the motors won't turn despite many resets and uploads. I am using the provided code so I don't think that is the problem.

Here is the weird thing that will probably point to my screw up. While the usb cord is plugged in the motors hum and try to turn but are limited by the low voltage provided by the usb (I assume). In fact when I provide a power supply to the arduino board it turns the motors fine.

I uploaded a random program (blink) and the humming stops and it doesn't try to turn the motors. So I am pretty sure it just is not accepting power that is connected to the motor controller PCB provided in the kit.

Wondering if anyone has built this thing and encountered the same problem?

Replace battery, always use rechargeable batteries A PP3 will be flat in 2 mins or so AA 20-30 mins.

Provide a link to what you have.

Mark

Thank you for the reply.

I am using an 8-AA power supply and it's got plenty of juice left. I tested it by connecting the motor wires directly.

My theory is that the PCB that came with the kit is defective/damaged. Got an email out to Make to see if I can buy a replacement. Else I am going to start with a motor shield and do it the hard way.

Here is a link to the kit I got: Robot Kits | Robotics Kits | Books - Maker Shed

Hi,
Looks like an expensive robot to me! well in that you could have done something that you really wanted for the same money and have less trouble. Not been tempted to buy a complete kit yet, but I have used a Pololu Zumo chassis and the RP-5 but only because their both tracked bases. I usually use 4 or 6 AA's (Nimh) but have just ordered some Li-ions same size of AA but 3.7v! so only need 2, a little less weight to carry! Buy a L293 and wire it yourself, OK it loses a little power but with 6 x AA you have enough. Get a cheap Arduino expansion shield for buzzers, in/out etc..

If you care to take a look here: www.melsaunders.co.uk you can see some of my early robots, but here's a couple of pictures.

Hope it helps, regards

Mel.