Go Down

Topic: simple rc transmitter  (Read 309 times) previous topic - next topic

roadkill420

ok so I have a interesting project that I want to make but not sure exactly what to do

simply I have a twin engine nitro rc car and I want a rpm and temp readers on each engine now I have 2x recievers 2x tx modules and 2x hand held screen units to get telemetry readings

I think all I really need to do is simply bind a receiver and screen to the tx module but I think I need to have a ppm signal into the module to bind everything

I would also like to use 1 channel on each receiver to operate a starter on each engine but I dont have those yet

can someone please help me I dont know what im doing and to be honest I was hoping all I needed to do was power the module but that dont seem to work thats why I think I need to simulate a radio to bind

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

roadkill420

Apr 17, 2018, 08:11 am Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 08:26 am by roadkill420
I should have mentioned that the receivers tx modules and hand held units are spektrum rc equipment not arduino

problem im having is I think the module needs to be in a radio with a active ppm signal for me to bind everything as usual

an easy fix would be to just get 2x radios but that is expencive and bulky to do this thats why I want to simulate the radio to power the modules

I have 2x spektrum sm1000 tx transmitter modules
2x spektrum sr3000 rx surface receivers
2x spektrum handheld telemetry screens
2x spektrun on-board telemetry sensor stations

now as I said before all this stuff usually binds to each other no problems if you have the radio for the module to fit into but I want to eliminate the radio and swap it with a arduino instead

Robin2

I think the Spektrum R/C equipment uses Cypress wireless modules which are similar to but not compatible with the Nordic nFR24s.

The Deltang wireless modules for model trains  etc use Cypress modules and a while back I wrote my own code for the Atmega 328 on my Deltang modules and wrote about it here. Feel free to make use of it but I do not plan to provide any support as I have forgotten all the details. Nobody seems to make a simple breakout board that would allow the Cypress wireless to be used with an Arduino as easily as an nRF24.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

roadkill420

Apr 17, 2018, 12:32 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 01:00 pm by roadkill420
this is absolutely no help dont get me wrong it is going to be handy to have what you gave me for when I try amd make a rc ho traxk cleaning train for my track but for this project I dont need to get arduino modules or try and make the stuff I have compatible with arduino modules or anything like that all I want to know and do is hook up a arduino ( something like a uno) the spektrum tx modules I have already and make them think they are pluged into a JR R-1 JRPRO module slot thats all I dont want to know about arduino wireless modules I dont want to know deltang modules pr anything like that I just want to simulate the type of radio my spektrum modules fit into thats all I have almost everything I need to set these up normally ( the reciever and the transmitter module that sends the 2.4GHz signal I just dont have the actual radio (the thing that has the trigger and steering wheel on it that tells my module what to do when the module is plugged into it)

Robin2

I could not make sense of all the jumbled thoughts in your Reply #4 until I edited it like this to separate everything. Don't write long paragraphs without any whitespace

this is absolutely no help dont get me wrong it is going to be handy to have what you gave me for when I try amd make a rc ho traxk cleaning train for my track

but for this project I dont need to get arduino modules or try and make the stuff I have compatible with arduino modules or anything like that

all I want to know and do is hook up a arduino ( something like a uno)

the spektrum tx modules I have already

and make them think they are pluged into a JR R-1 JRPRO module slot thats all

I dont want to know about arduino wireless modules

I dont want to know deltang modules pr anything like that

I just want to simulate the type of radio my spektrum modules fit into thats all

I have almost everything I need to set these up normally ( the reciever and the transmitter module that sends the 2.4GHz signal

I just dont have the actual radio (the thing that has the trigger and steering wheel on it that tells my module what to do when the module is plugged into it)
...R

Robin2

Apr 17, 2018, 03:14 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 03:19 pm by Robin2
I think what is confusing me is that I don't know what you mean by "the spektrum tx modules I have already" and "make them think they are pluged into a JR R-1 JRPRO module slot", especially when you say later "I just dont have the actual radio"

An Arduino cannot receive or send wireless data without being connected to some sort of wireless module.

And in your Original Post you said "I have a twin engine nitro rc car and I want a rpm and temp readers on each engine" which leads me to think that you want to send data by wireless from your car to your base unit. AFAIK standard R/C equipment just sends data from the base unit to the car.

I know how to send data in both directions, but not with Spektrum equipment. However if you can explain more clearly what you are trying to do I may be able to help.

The reason I mentioned the Deltang modules is because they use Cypress wireless devices and are compatible with Spektrum R/C transmitters. I was not trying to encourage you to take up railway modelling.

...R

roadkill420

Apr 17, 2018, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 04:37 pm by roadkill420
ok so the spektrum sm1000 tx module is a 2.4ghz wireless dsm transmitter/ reciever combo module that usually plugs into a select few non spektrum radios (JR-R1 JRPRO controller for example) so non spektrum radios (JR) can connect to a spektrum signal like the reciever in my car

the sr3000 rx is a wireless dsm 2.4ghz reciever that goes in the car capable of recieving signals from the radio but also send info like telemetry back to the radio

the radio is just the buttons and triggers that control the car

simply put I want to plug the sm1000 (wireless dsm tx) to a arduino instead of a radio

and sorry about not seperating my #4 reply was getting a bit frustrated that I couldnt post pics of what I was talking about

this forum should say before you try and post if an attachment is to big instead of posting then telling you its to big to post

and as for model trains im actually building a track around the roof of my room as space is limited and its going to be a pain to clean so I actually want to make a rc ho train that isnt powered by the track so I can clean It

so the model info you gave me will come in handy for that project but its a little while off before I start that project

Robin2

Images from Reply #7 so we don't have to download them. See this  Simple Image Guide

...R

Robin2

Apr 17, 2018, 07:03 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 07:05 pm by Robin2
Please post a link to the datasheet or user-manual for the spektrum sm1000 tx module.

I can't help feeling that your description "I want to plug the sm1000 (wireless dsm tx) to a arduino" is a gross over-simplifcation - but I hope I am wrong.

It would be a big help if you can draw a simple diagram that illustrates how the different parts relate to each other and how the data flows - what direction and which parts are wireless and which are wired. Then post a photo of the drawing.

...R

roadkill420

Apr 17, 2018, 07:54 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 08:28 pm by roadkill420
I only have my phone to make posts here so its a bit hard to do things like right clicking that pc users can do easy

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM_Telemetry_manual.pdf

first link is for the hand held units

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM-instructions.pdf

second link is for the tx module and reciever check p.4/5 binding

Robin2

Apr 17, 2018, 08:56 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 08:57 pm by Robin2
I only have my phone to make posts here so its a bit hard to do things like right clicking that pc users can do easy
Perhaps you should wait until you can use your PC before posting a Reply ?

second link is for the tx module and reciever check p.4/5 binding
Which link is for the "sm1000 tx module"

...R

roadkill420

I dont have a pc hence why im using my phone

and as I only added 2 links in my last post obviously its the second link as I said but here it is again

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM-instructions.pdf

Robin2

Apr 17, 2018, 10:31 pm Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 pm by Robin2
and as I only added 2 links in my last post obviously its the second link as I said but here it is again
It may be obvious to you, but it was not obvious to me.

I have now had a quick look through that PDF but I still have no idea what you want to do with your Arduino.

Maybe what you want to do is common-place for R/C folks and if so you will probably get more useful info on an R/C Forum where people are familiar with the Spektrum equipment.

Otherwise, I can't help feeling that you would probably make progress faster by abandoning the Spektrum equipment and using a pair of nRF24L01+ modules - one in the car and one in a new base unit.

...R

roadkill420

ok so you got the pdf

see where it says installation and it says installing the transmitter module

1. make sure transmitter is turned off
2. remove the current RF module from the transmitter
3. carefully insert the DSM module (SM1000) notting the orientation of the connector pins
4. rotate and angle the antenna on the module to vertical
5. if the transmitter is PPM AND PCM compatible make sure the transmitter is programmed to PPM modulation mode

now lets say the receiver is already installed in the car and we can take a few steps forward to binding this is where my problem is

1. make sure everything is turned off
2. with the receiver turned off press and hold the bind button on the receiver
3. turn on the receiver while holding the bind button
4. release the bind button when the led flashes green
5. with the transmitter turned off place the transmitter sticks and aux channels in their desired failsafe position
6. press and hold the bind button on the transmitter module (SM1000)
7. turn the transmitter on while holding the bind button
8. release the bind button after the green led flashes

now this is how you would normally set these up if you have the transmitter that the module fits into in the instalation process but I dont have the transmitter this is where I want the arduino to come in and replace the transmitter

the modules have 5 holes in the back fot the transmitter pins to fit into to conect the module to the transmitter only 3 of the holes are actually used tho 1 for 6v+ 1 for - and 1 for PPM (its used for all communication from transmitter to module and back)

all I need to do is connect the arduino to the PPM hole in the module and program the arduino to send a neutral PPM modulation signal and connect 6v to the module and then I can complete the bind process

Go Up