Basic Arduino Info please

Hello All,
I'm a 70 year old retired video systems engineer. I have over 50 years experience in various phases of electronic design, repair, systems integration, etc., but know pretty much zilch about Arduino. Can someone recommend some books, PDF's, etc. that I can read to become familiar with the technical specifications and functions? I would like to become familiar enough with Arduino to do some tinkering and maybe use some circuits on my model railroad. Thanx for your help!

Since it sounds like you know your stuff w/regards to electronic hardware, you'll probably want to go straight to the schematics (from the product pageshttps://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Products ) and - if needed - the datasheets for the microcontrollers on the boards - after all, an Arduino board is just a breakout board for a microcontroller, with a basic power supply and (on most boards) a USB-serial adapter.

Do you have programming experience, or only hardware experience?
Arduinos are programmed in C; Arduino provides easy functions to call to interact with the hardware - stuff like using the serial port, setting pins high and low, and so forth. These helper functions are described in the Reference section Arduino - Home

MikeyChris:
I'm a 70 year old retired video systems engineer.

Welcome to Arduino forum.

Beside the books, if there is any issuses with Arduino. Posting here and you will get much support from kind member on this forum.

My sincere thanx to you guys for your replies. I will probably post more here when I have some experience (and know what to ask)!