Looking for work!

I'm going to also disagree with the no money in arduino comment. DIY drones was also based on arduino they have just transitioned in to becoming 3dRobotics which is a very large operation.

I think engineers get mad when they see that hacks are many times more then sufficient. Users only care that the thing works. Engineers have invested so much of there time in not being hacks and payed big money for engineering school, its understandable they feel this way. I think this leads to a bit of not seeing the forest through trees.

Theses hacks are important to the products you end up working on!

I'm currently building a company in NH with its first product being arduino based. Will I eventually move on to bigger and better more industry standard things? Yes. However arduino is a quick way for an entrepreneur with an idea to get to an MVP (minimal viable product). If I get there then I can justify raising the capital for real engineering work.

I don't see most of the engineers I know getting excited about that second part because running a business in not necessarily their forte. If we want to see more innovative hardware companies rise, we have to accept that everyone starts somewhere! Generalist are really important in the start-up phase of a business. Its really tough right now to be a hardware start-up, but it will become a more prominent thing as barriers to entry changes because of projects like arduino. Actually its already happening. The people in this space will be looking for folks like scswift. Given those folks have the luxury of living on the edge with a start-up. If they don't have the luxury then guerilla's points are probably relevant. Just pointing out the defeatist attitude is unnecessary.

I'm still at an early phase where I can't offer positions. Things will likely happen fast when that point comes though. Check out the project @ GitHub - PaulBeaudet/JesterType: Gesture based keying / HID device that using Arduino with boards capable of acting as HID such as the Leonardo, Micro and USB Lillypad. This was my first real programming project it exist on github for reference purposes. See Tenkey for a more up to date iteration of most functionality, see if your interested. Hobby involvement is resume and application, or point me to an open source project you have worked on.