Atmega328P TQFP32

tack:
Must say that the use of all those italics and stating you are not aware, does make it come across as a little condescending; i.e. you're not aware, therefore I'm making something up.

Well, I am just pointing out the need for clarification. My italics are to point out a specific reference to breadboarded, "home brew" versions of the Arduino concept.

tack:

Paul_B:
Can you point me to an example of such?

Of course,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-TTL-to-Serial-Converter-Module-CP2102-AUTO-RESET-ENABLED-for-Arduino-Project-/321112731162?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4ac3cf6e1a

OK, so I would really like to confirm that you have purchased one of these and observed that it actually has an 0.1µF capacitor added (because I cannot see why it would)?

While that site certainly goes to great length and font size to stress that it is "Auto-Reset Ready" - and presumably is in the sense that it will emulate the FTDI module, since it does not mention such a capacitor and since the capacitor would only be required to be added for "breadboard" and possibly some of the Adafruit variants, I am naturally inclined to presume that it would not.

If we can comprehensively verify this one way or the other, then all of us can give more useful advice in future.