Need some direction with using ATTINY85

Hi all, hopefully someone can give me some direction on this, I don't know where to start looking.

I have an ATTINY85 that I've been able to program with some simple blink/beep type sketches using my Arduino Uno as ISP. But how do I access its registers and EEPROM?

The first thing I need this for is to set pin 1 as an I/O pin rather than RESET. I assume I need to set a register value but I have no idea how I'd access it.

I'm using Arduino 1.0.1, and Arduino-Tiny Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Thanks in advance,

Try http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=547834

pick1e:
But how do I access its registers and EEPROM?

Exactly the same way you do with an Arduino board...

The ATtiny85 datasheet also has good C examples of register access.

The first thing I need this for is to set pin 1 as an I/O pin rather than RESET.

Once you do that you can only program the processor using a high-voltage programmer or a bootloader.

I assume I need to set a register value but I have no idea how I'd access it.

No. You change a "fuse bit".

pick1e:
Hi all, hopefully someone can give me some direction on this, I don't know where to start looking.

I have an ATTINY85 that I've been able to program with some simple blink/beep type sketches using my Arduino Uno as ISP. But how do I access its registers and EEPROM?

Same as any other Arduino.

pick1e:
The first thing I need this for is to set pin 1 as an I/O pin rather than RESET. I assume I need to set a register value but I have no idea how I'd access it.

Nah, you don't want to do that.

The reset pin is used for programming the chip. If you reconfigure it you lose the ability to upload code, etc. The only way to get it back again is with a special device (a "High voltage programmer").

pick1e:

You know it can be used in a limited way as an IO pin while retaining the reset functionality too? It's capable of being addressed as digital pin 5 or analog 0 if you're coding from the IDE. What are you intending to connect it to?

Geoff