Broken Wire in 5V Jack

I am taking a microcontrollers course in college, and I have broken a bit of wire off in my 5V jack on my Uno while doing some homework. Anyone have any tips on how to get this wire out?

Photo?

eli123ky:
I am taking a microcontrollers course in college, and I have broken a bit of wire off in my 5V jack on my Uno while doing some homework. Anyone have any tips on how to get this wire out?

Needle nosed tweezers or, failing that, a needle and patience.

I have fixed it by chipping away a tiny bit of the header (i think it's called) around the 5V jack with nail clippers! I found a link where someone had used solder somehow. I didn't cause any damage.

Next time try a sharp needle.

just to get the terms right, i don't think that's called a "jack" - that would be the DC jack where you plug in the round end from a power adaptor.

what you have a problem with is the "5V pin" and that's an output, have a look at this page;

Definitely not a jack!! Its a female header. If you don't own some non-magnetic
very fine-nosed tweezers you probably ought to, often useful.

The 5V female header can be an input or an output.
When used as an input, a diode should be added from 5V (anode) to Vin (cathode) to avoid reverse biasing the 5V regulator and killing it.

CrossRoads:
The 5V female header can be an input or an output.
When used as an input, a diode should be added from 5V (anode) to Vin (cathode) to avoid reverse biasing the 5V regulator and killing it.

but that would not really be required under normal circumstances, right ?
the Arduino documentation itself states it's an output.
i guess it's just an alternative if the other, more usual, choices of power supply are not available - perhaps broken or physically disabled ?

What's normal? Normal for me is power from a 5V wallwart, using the header. I rarely run from 9V or 12V.