Surely someone has done this before

One of the activities I would like to do with the Arduino is to read various memories and dump them over serial. Is there already a utlity that will take the data sent over serial and save it as a purely hex file on the computer?

Maybe this will help you. Arduino Forum

Unfortunately not. That is dumping the internal memory of the Arduino and printing it in the terminal in human readable form. What I am looking for is a serial terminal that will capture the data coming in a serial port and save it as binary. I thought Realterm was going to do it, but the captured output is ASCII representation of Hex.

There must be something out there.

You can save data with Processing then copy and past said data into an excel file for analysis. Not sure if this is what your after though.

What I am looking for is a serial terminal that will capture the data coming in a serial port and save it as binary.

i think the arduino sends bytes when the write method is used. Also a terminal program that can save something as a file will just have the binary in the file, such as sending/receiving a .jpg file.

Got it. Realterm will do it. I just had the wrong settings.