Are Resistors Mandatory?

In my LED build they are connected to digital pins, illuminated with analogWrite(3,x) where x is a loop-generated PWM value between 0 and 150. When I meter it on my bench Agilent the mA peak never exceeds 16mA. So, is a resistor required in this case?

FWIW - The same LED when metered on analogWrite(3,255) pulls 57mA. That's bad news I think; however, except for botched code it won't happen in the actual routine.

Thanks.

I know the Agilent's I use puke on their shoes if you read them faster than once a second, so ... what is your real peak current?

in a nutshell its sampling at X frequency and averaging them, in reality you are pulsing around 57ma really fast, which may be fine for your LED but is beyond spec for the AVR

and yes I would use a current limiting device regardless cause the forward voltage of the led will change with temperature and time

Yea, I see your point. I want to limit the draw to 20mA MAX, right?

pulsing a led usually can be quite higher than a constant on in terms of current, 40ma is the absolute max for a single pin of the avr on the arduino (250ma total for the whole thing)

For driving leds directly from arduino yes... always

dotJason:
So, is a resistor required in this case?

YES!

cjdelphi:
For driving leds directly from arduino yes... always

except when pin was placed in INPUT_PULLUP mode.

One solution would be to connect the pin to a transistor via a 1k resistor then you need not worry about current draw at all... using pwm to the base pin will allow analogWrite to work...

cjdelphi:
One solution would be to connect the pin to a transistor via a 1k resistor then you need not worry about current draw at all... using pwm to the base pin will allow analogWrite to work...

Maybe you could sketch that out?

cjdelphi:

you are just using more components to shift the problem somewhere else

You need to limit the current somehow - either by a resistor or by a constant current driver of some sort.

So resistors are not mandatory if you have a constant current driver chip / circuit.

Never used a transistor before? I'll gladly teach you....]

cjdelphi:
Never used a transistor before? I'll gladly teach you....]

Heaven forfend.

Sorry never like Baited questions... esp when the person skips facts