Arduino GSM shield unable to connect

Hello I have bought new Arduino GSM shield. I have connected it to arduino uno. I have inserted and tried with many sim cards Airtel, Vodafone, BSNL and tata docomo(Indian SIM cards).

I am trying to send sms using the available code in the library. But unable to do so. There is PINNUMBER we need to enter in the code, If I leave it blank then nothing will be displayed in the serial monitor other than that "SMS message sender". If I enter the default PIN of the SIM cards i.e '0000' or '1234', then it shows 'not connected' and it goes on showing it.

How to connect GSM shield using Indian Carriers . Please help.

I'm having exactly the same problem, using gsm_shield_2 + arduino uno, with a SIM card by Movistar.

Have you pressed the power button? you need to power the shield until the "status" and "net" leds blink... some people was missing this.... but din't work for me as well...

I tried the solution suggested on the forums of powering with external supply (looks like the shield needs >700ma), but i can just receive the "Not connected" message on the serial monitor.

I tried the SIM card on my phone and it works perfectly... so something strange is happening on the arduino side.

I have full coverage at home, so i don't think it's related with it... maybe should try with a different SIM card? any suggestions or people with the same problems?

thx!