WiFi Shield with Phone Application

Hello,
My name is Michael, and I am taking a senior design class this semester. My group is working on a project where we want to use WiFi (or think we do). Anyway, for our project, we have picked out an Arduino Leonardo microcontroller and we would like to have a phone application communicate with it. Through research, we found that the Arduino Wireless SD Shield will give us WiFi capabilities. My "big" question is, will the Arduino Wireless SD Shield create a network (hotspot) so the phone can connect to it? My original though was that it only works as a WiFi transceiver and gives our controller box an ip address so it can be identified on a network. If it does not create a wireless network, will we then have to connect both the phone and WiFi shield to an existing network (like my router at home)? Last, if in fact it does not create a network, would it just be worth it to upgrade to the Netduino Plus and connect the controller box to the router via. Ethernet? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Michael

My "big" question is, will the Arduino Wireless SD Shield create a network (hotspot) so the phone can connect to it?

Connect it to your wireless network by following a few simple instructions to start controlling your world through the internet.

Nowhere does it mention "create a network". So, no, it does not create a network. It connects to existing wireless routers only.

If it does not create a wireless network, will we then have to connect both the phone and WiFi shield to an existing network (like my router at home)?

Yes.

Last, if in fact it does not create a network, would it just be worth it to upgrade to the Netduino Plus and connect the controller box to the router via. Ethernet?

What makes you think you need to "upgrade" to the Netduino? The Arduino can wear an Ethernet shield.

The issue of whether to use Ethernet or WiFi is one of whether the Arduino with shield can be tethered via the ethernet cable, or not.

Senior designing what ?

I'd suggest you start using the search function of this forum. During the last 3 months or so I have posted a good handful of times in respect to Arduino and WiFi. Usually I suggest to use a little wireless router in conjunction with an Arduino Ethernet shield ( not a WiFi shield).

I believe for beginners that is easier to deal with than any of the WiFi solution that are presently available. You have the full functionality of the Ethernet library at your hands and that library is mature enough so it's save to assume that potential bugs are in your co and not in the library.

The project will be for finding your keys/remote. We want to use a phone application to communicate to our microcontoller and have the microcontroller relay the signal to a rf transceiver which will communicate to the receiver on a keychain or remote.

Thanks Paul for the information. It seems as if WiFi would be the hardest way to go. I will defininetly look into the ethernet shield for the microcontroller.

No, WiFi is not hard to do. If you use a little router connected to the Ethernet shield, for example a TP-Link TN Wr702n it is very simple. This is a little travel router that comes configured as an AP ( Access Point, or Hotspot). You can integrate it also into an existing network if you so desire.

You should be able to use any WiFi enabled phone to connect to it. I can verify that it works with an iPhone and iPad.

Once connected, or should be able to run any of the sample scripts that come with the Ethernet library and they should run without problems. The WiFi connection is transparent to the Ethernet shield.

In your post you talk about the "Arduino Wireless SD Shield", while the title says "WiFi Shield". The two are not the same. While the Arduino WiFi Shield is capable to connect to WiFi networks, the Arduino Wireless SD Shield is just a shield offering connections to an SD card and to an XBee module. Although you can connect WiFi capable XBee module (RN-XV, WiFi Bee or XBee S6 to name some examples) to that shield, the shield alone doesn't allow you to connect to a WiFi network.

Hi, my name is Azet.
i am also doing a project where i need to transmit information to the mobile phones.
I am planning to use leonardo board and find an appropriate shield which has 6-icsp header to connect to internet.

My project is simple to think, just to transfer the score information (my scoreboard display system) to the phone for people near the field (who are not able to see the display).

I am quite scared if i chose a wrong wifi shield which won't be compatible with my leonardo board.
May anybody enlighten me on this situation?
Which wifi shield or any other shield should be used for my project with leonardo board.?
Many thanks in advanced for any help provided...
I am just a beginner for the board project.

azet