What is the best way to get rid of the standard Arduino IDE ?

I'm asking because if I find no real IDE to replace the terrible standard Arduino IDE I won't continue using arduino!
I have already tried setting up Arduino for use with
Eclipse
Atmel Studio 6 (engblaze)
In both cases on different computers and different OS (Win XP and Win 7). In all cases I have been unable to make things work as intended
after following the guides I found.
So I want an IDE I can use with Arduino that has instructions on how to do it and also work. If I can code in pure C/C++ it's a plus.
What is the best and easiest option.

jfri
I'm sorry to hear you have not succeeded in setting up eclipse for Arduino. I suppose you have tried the arduino eclipse plugin at eclipse.baeyens.it
As the author of this eclipse plugin I'm interested in hearing why you didn't get it to work.
Would you mind sharing this? Maybe we get it to work anyways :smiley:
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:
jfri
I'm sorry to hear you have not succeeded in setting up eclipse for Arduino. I suppose you have tried the arduino eclipse plugin at eclipse.baeyens.it
As the author of this eclipse plugin I'm interested in hearing why you didn't get it to work.
Would you mind sharing this? Maybe we get it to work anyways :smiley:
Best regards
Jantje

Yes it was from that url and it was some time since I did this. So I will see how much I remember.
First the version I found to download was Kepler (not Indigo or Juno)
Under install new software I find that these are listed as already installed
Arduino eclipse extensions 1.2.5.5
Avr eclipse plugin 2.4.0.201203041437
Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developers 2.0.0.20130613-0530
Under plugins I found among many things
Jan Baeyens Arduino eclipse 1.2.3.4
I had some test projects and I could build them
Then when trying to upload to the board I get problems.
Pressing one (I have two) AVR button in the toolbar I get this error message in a window
AVR Dude upload
The file [${workspace_loc:/My_Sketch}/Release/My_Sketch.hex] for the
Flash memory does not exist or is not readable

Maybe the project needs to be build first.

(but I just did)

Kepler is not supported.

You should not have installed Avr eclipse plugin. It is confusing and you need to configure both to get it to work.
You probably used the avr upload button when uploading. The other button could have worked. You can read more on he relation between the 2 here This page has been moved

Today I should advice to install Juno CDT and V2 of the plugin. This version has a Arduino menu and uses the Arduino buttons. It doesn't include winavr nor depends on it.

Best regards
Jantje

What's so terrible about the standard IDE?

It's very simple to use.

...R

Robin2:
It's very simple to use.

Agree. OTOH this worked well for me with Atmel Studio 6:
http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial/cat/Arduino/post/atmerpt1/
http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial/cat/Arduino/post/atmerpt2/
http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial/cat/Arduino/post/atmel/

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

You should not have installed Avr eclipse plugin. It is confusing and you need to configure both to get it to work.
You probably used the avr upload button when uploading. The other button could have worked. You can read more on he relation between the 2 here This page has been moved

Today I should advice to install Juno CDT and V2 of the plugin. This version has a Arduino menu and uses the Arduino buttons. It doesn't include winavr nor depends on it.

Best regards
Jantje

Well now I have installed
Eclipse Juno Service Release 2 (1.5.2.20130211-1820)
Arduino eclipse extensions (2.1.0.4)
After restarting Eclipse I got the following message
Problem occurred
'Discover compiler built in language settings' has encountered a problem.
Problem running CDT scanner Discovery provider it.baeyens.arduino.languageSettingsprovider
I can't upload any sketch. I see that under Windows/Preferences I only see one item for Arduino and none for paths or avrdude as in the installation instructions. What have I missed now ?

Robin2:

It's very simple to use.

...R

First it's ugly. It might be simple to use for smaller program but when you write larger program you will miss features in more advanced IDEs

There are two nice options I reviewed in Looking for a Better IDE:

If you use Windows, give Visual Micro a try. It includes debugging facilities.

If you use Mac OS X, try embedXcode.

The official thread for Arduino is here

Happy coding :slight_smile:

jfri:

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

Best regards
Jantje

Problem occurred
Problem running CDT scanner Discovery provider it.baeyens.arduino.languageSettingsprovider
I can't upload any sketch. I see that under Windows/Preferences I only see one item for Arduino and none for paths or avrdude as in the installation instructions. What have I missed now ?

Not sure which installation instructions you are referring to. There is nothing on arv dude in my instructions http://www.eclipse.baeyens.it/Install.html There shoiuld only be Arduino in the preferences.
Version 2 needs Arduino IDE 1.5.2 beta (all other versions will not work)
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

Best regards
Jantje

Problem occurred

Not sure which installation instructions you are referring to. There is nothing on arv dude in my instructions http://www.eclipse.baeyens.it/Install.html There shoiuld only be Arduino in the preferences.
Best regards
Jantje

I'm referring to the instructions in exactly the same url you posted now. At the bottom of that webpage we see the window preferences and a heading arduino. Under that heading are three items,
Arduino
AVRDude
paths
I only have
Arduino
arduino
On arduino homepage the only beta I find for download is 1.5.4r2. Is later than 1.5.4.2 ok ?

jfri:
First it's ugly. It might be simple to use for smaller program but when you write larger program you will miss features in more advanced IDEs

You don't have to take it to bed :slight_smile:

If you set the IDE to use an external editor (I use Gedit on Linux) you don't have to look at the Arduino IDE much yet you have all of its features available. And you can take advantage of all the features of the external editor for the bits that do require a lot of time and concentration.

If you get into a situation where something doesn't work with a complex IDE like Eclipse (which is where you seem to be) it's my experience that you just waste time trying to figure out how to sort out the IDE which would be much better spend figuring out your own code.

...R

Oh let me count the ways.

In another thread I did enumerate the great features a real IDE has that the Arduino one doesn't, can't find it now.

I use Visual Micro with AS 6.1, it works fine.

EDIT: Found my earlier post

AS has all the great stuff a real programming environment should have, like

split windows, side-by-side editing, block in/outdenting, block commenting, dropdown list of functions in the current file, highlight a word and all the occurrences of that word also highlight (that's very useful), highlight a library function and jump to that file and function, mouse scroll to change text size, shows all compiler warnings, click on a variable to see how it's declared, go straight to the declaration if you want to, click on a constant to see it's defined value, etc etc.

The IDE has

a compile button

Rob

I guess the world goes round because everyone has different tastes.

I have never felt a need for all that stuff. Indeed I used to use NetBeans for developing Ruby on Rails projects and I gave it up in favour of Gedit.

...R

I have been working with Eclipse (Juno 32 bit) on a Windows7 machine with the Baeyens, Doxygen and SVN plugins installed, now for about a year. I still have 1.0.5 installed. Tried one of the newer versions some time ago and that gave me some problems (forgot which) but had no time to look into it. So I went back to 1.0.5.

Modified the Arduino environment to be able to handle ATinyXX series and it all works fine.

Fabulous actually :grin:

jfri:

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

Best regards
Jantje

Problem occurred

Best regards
Jantje

I'm referring to the instructions in exactly the same url you posted now. At the bottom of that webpage we see the window preferences and a heading arduino. Under that heading are three items,
Arduino
AVRDude
paths
I only have
Arduino
arduino
On arduino homepage the only beta I find for download is 1.5.4r2. Is later than 1.5.4.2 ok ?

The images indeed contain avrdude but there are no instruction to do any settings there.
Avrdude is there because the images are from V1. In V2 Avrdude is no longer there.
You can find 1.5.2 here http://arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:

jfri:

Jantje:
Kepler is not supported.

Best regards
Jantje

Problem occurred

Best regards
Jantje

Arduino
AVRDude
paths
I only have
Arduino
arduino

The images indeed contain avrdude but there are no instruction to do any settings there.
Avrdude is there because the images are from V1. In V2 Avrdude is no longer there.
You can find 1.5.2 here http://arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases

Does this mean that version 1.5.2 is necessary and later versions won't work ? Maybe not a big deal now but later when 1.5.2 becomes obsolete I see a potential problem here.

jfri:
Does this mean that version 1.5.2 is necessary and later versions won't work ? Maybe not a big deal now but later when 1.5.2 becomes obsolete I see a potential problem here.

It means that Arduino IDE has changed between 1.5.2 beta and 1.5.3 beta in such a way that it becomes incompatible and I haven't cached up yet.
Note that Arduino 1.5.X are at this time still all beta versions.

This is one known incompatibility Comments on Arduino 1.5 Specifications - Suggestions for the Arduino Project - Arduino Forum

Sublime Text with the Stino plug in. I'm pretty new to it but it's amazing so far. https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino

Thanks, but no-thanks. SublimeText costs money - $70. That would buy 2 or 3 Arduinos and a lot of Atmega 328 chips.

...R