EtherTen (Uno-like board with built-in Ethernet) production has begun

Last week we got the first production samples of the EtherTen, and the full production run is now underway. We're probably about 6 days away from the assembler finishing the first batch of 800 units. The production samples have the wrong silkscreen colour (the final units are yellow on blue) but are otherwise the same as the real thing:

They have full PoE support (both cheap DIY and 802.3af standards-compliant) and a microSD card slot, and we've used an ATmega8u2 for USB serial comms just like on the Uno (and the Eleven: Eleven (100% Arduino Uno Compatible) | Freetronics). More info at EtherTen Arduino compatible with onboard Ethernet | Freetronics.

Jon

That looks nice! Seems like you won the race against the long-time-announced-but-not-yet-released Arduino Ethernet...

Nice! Very good job!
It's very handy to have Arduino+Ethernet on the same board - PoE support is very good too.
I'm planning to implement (on breadboard, first) a board like this but using ENC28J60 Ethernet controller.

Hi,

Do you have any idea of when this board will go public :slight_smile:

When will the global sales start?

Best regards

Do you have any idea of when this board will go public

It'll be another few days before assembly is complete, then shipping from the assembler to us will take about a week (it's a very big box!), then they'll be available directly from us and also from our resellers.

Jon

Ok I have one question - what HID codes are you using? :smiley:

Looks nice though - still not decided whether or not I like the curved corners.

Ok I have one question - what HID codes are you using?

Our own. We paid a license fee to get our own IDs when we started producing the Eleven with the ATmega8u2 on it: Eleven (100% Arduino Uno Compatible) | Freetronics.

In fact we're using the same ID on both the Eleven and the EtherTen, since they have the same firmware in the 8u2 and are functionally identical. The only difference is that the EtherTen is like an Eleven with an Ethernet shield permanently stacked on it.

Jon

Cool - I think I meant PID codes anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought you might have purchased you own (as it's a few thousand but getting a production run of 800 boards is easily a few k too :slight_smile: )

Just a little update: the first production run is finished and they're in stock now EtherTen Arduino compatible with onboard Ethernet | Freetronics. Over 600 immediately shipped to resellers, and the remaining stock is shrinking fast. We've already ordered another production run less than 24 hours after the first one went on sale.

Jon

Nice! Next project for you: Arduino compatible with WiFi baked in, a la AsyncLabs BlackWidow and YellowJacket, but with a more appropriate WiFi module and good library support :slight_smile:

@tastewar, I like that idea. WiFi modules seem to be pretty expensive, and good library support is really important obviously. Do you have a preference for a good module?

Jon

I lack any actual experience to answer that question, I only know what I want: something that works a lot like the Ethernet shield, but takes perhaps 3 extra initialization parameters: SSID, passphrase, and encryption type (if it can't be determined automatically, like my computers seem to be able to do).

I did start a discussion on the topic not too long ago:

But nothing definitive came of it. In any case, thanks for liking the idea!!

SeeedStudio made a shield with the same module used in the Black Widow... so it seems that the choices available are the Microchip wi-fi module used in both that shield and the Widow, or the roving networks module.
The problem with the microchip module is that the TCP Stack has to be made in software... and that creates quite a big overhead.