Strange problem with "sprintf"

HEY! That's an awesome idea! Thanks.

I spent yesterday looking through all the java code of the source (the "Compiler" class) and found where it generates the command line to run the AVR-G++ compiler.

I discovered that there are two library versions... a "printf_min" and a "printf_flt" (and sscan versions) as well as a "libc" and "libm" versions, which of course are small and large (non-floating point vs. floating point) versions of the same libraries.

It is possible to specify that the floating point libraries be used and the "-lm" flag used to link the math libraries, but the compiler command line params are hard coded into the java IDE code.

One thing I've been considering is to add an option to the "preferences.txt" file. For example, if you check on the "Show verbose during compilation" option, the Compiler class has a "verbose ? '-Wall' : '-W'" line in it to use "-Wall" or "-W" on the complier command line depending on if "show verbose" is true or not.

The option I've been considering would be something like "build.use_floating_point=true/false" and then specify the correct command line args depending on the state of the config option.

I can certainly see saving precious memory space, but to LOCK OUT the ability to trade memory for performance is unacceptable.

Sometimes I wonder if actual engineers designed this hardware and software? For example, the mounting holes on the Arduino boards are too close to through-hole components, and there is not enough clearance between board traces and the holes (requiring the use of plastic washers or standoffs in projects).

The software (IDE) is missing a lot of common features such as line cut and paste modes, actual tabs VS spaces, lots of syntax highlight colors hard coded, etc, etc....

It's "open source"... if you have a crowbar to pry it "open" LOL!

Oh well, thanks again for your idea. I'll use it until I figure out how to make the Arduino IDE work properly......

-- Roger