Measuring Distances with Ultrasonic Sensors

Alright, I have this setup and working with the Ping sensor and 16x2 serial dispay. Currently I get a reading in mm showing the actual distance to an object and it seems fairly accurate so I want to move on to my next need.

I need to display the difference of an initail value minus the current value. Basically I would turn the unit on and point it at the object. I would like to capture that value and then use it to subtract the real time value from that initial reading. If the value is 200mm I would want to subtract that from all future readings so looking at the same distance it would read 0 (200-200=0 and print 0 to the LCD rather than 200) and as the object comes closer it would read the difference i.e. 200-150=50 and print 50 to the LCD. I figure if I could have a button to capture the intitial value then use it to produce results from there it would do what I am trying to accomplish. I am just not sure how to accomplish this. If anyone has any input on how to do this,code or command examples or a better way of looking at this I would greatly appreciate it;)