Innovation Projects tools

Hey guys, I plan to participate in one competition

The theme for the competition is "Creating some tools that is useful for the deaf"

Just a simple one will do :slight_smile:

So any ideas I can do using Arduino UNO atmega 328 ??

Thank you

I can't hear high notes, or consanants like t , b, p ,d , v etc, so I have some interesting conversations :slight_smile:

What drives the family mad though is when I leave the multimeter leads dangling when it is on continuity mode, and the probes touch.

Of course I can't hear the high note it makes, so for me, I could use an arduino with a mike, that could sense any constant ( over .5 sec ? ) high notes , and emit a 3 Khz note instead.

Its not exactly a mass appeal project, and wouldnt win unless the judges are also old farts like me :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I plan to participate in one competition

you have a link?

Learn the sound of you door bell and then flash a light whenever it rings/hoots/whatever.

Rob

• A parking sensor for your car that increases the frequency of light flashes iso beeps.
  • A detector for unsafe situations in the kitchen
  • smoke alarms for the deaf e.g. a smoke alarm in the kitchen is forwarded to the room where I am.
  • A funny gadget to tells the people "Sorry, I am deaf" (blinking lcd) when a certain sound volume is reached.

What funny gadgets ?

What funny gadgets ?

That will make people smile !
Be creative! we already offered several project ideas , now its your turn!

I am not really sure how to implement it to make it impressive..

Hahaha. What I know is by using LCD only. character LCD :smiley:

you can make a running text on the LCD : "Sorry I am deaf" in 42 different languages

in 42 different languages

Some of which will prove quite challenging. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, just to name a few.

Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, just to name a few.

? ?? ?? ??? what ? :slight_smile:

You could have a large LCD display (or LED display many 8x8) that the arduino controls.....Program common phrases such as "Hello, How are you?" or "Sorry I can't hear you; I'm deaf."

Sounds exciting, and hope you win with whatever you come up with!

@Boffin
How do you propose to make those appear on the LCD? That is the challenging part.

OP:
Do you know anyone who is deaf? Asking them what might be useful would be more useful than asking a bunch of able-eared geeks.

Actually its easier to make a sound generator to say my favourite word " Huh ? " seems to work in all languages.

One thing I did play with before Arduino, is a device to limit the TV sound. I have to have the volume quite high to try and hear the dialog, and then the adverts come on and blast the neighbourhood !

I got it sort of working, but the sampled average desired max volume is difficult in analog.

It would be better to have arduino build up a history of the required peak volume allowable.

Actually its easier to make a sound generator to say my favourite word " Huh ? " seems to work in all languages.

That made me laugh.

One thing I did play with before Arduino, is a device to limit the TV sound. I have to have the volume quite high to try and hear the dialog, and then the adverts come on and blast the neighbourhood !

That's actually done deliberately. You might nod off during the show, but the advertisers don't want you to sleep through the advertising. I've found that the best solution is to simply set the TV by the side of the road with a sign on it - "Free to someone without a life".

set the TV by the side of the road with a sign on it - "Free to someone without a life

LOL

and I am waiting for someone to suggest I get earphones ! Trouble then is that I would never hear the wife ! ( there must be an answer to that ! )

there must be an answer to that !

Hearing aids!

Boffin1:
Trouble then is that I would never hear the wife !

You say that as if it were a bad thing !

Thats why I dont have hearing aids ! :slight_smile: